Epilogue

Dear Tressi,

I'm in for the audition. It's next week. I've been practicing like crazy. I think the role's in the bag, I got a peek at the sign up sheet and the competition isn't really worrisome. Dax is going to help me with the portfoliothe kid's got skills. But this isn't the only reason I'm writing to you. I have something to tell you.

I'm engaged! Yes, I know it's sudden and I've only known him for two months. But I think you'd love him, Tress. His name's Des Gemira. He cares about me so much. These past two months have truly been the bestI'm walking on air. I know what you're gonna saythat I should be more realistic and not get carried away, but once you see him, you'll know what I'm talking about. He is impossibly charming and he loves me so much. I can see it in his eyes, he really does.

But there is a problem. Please don't get mad. He works for Vil, and that's how I met him. Mom and Vil don't know that we are together. He doesn't want Vil knowing about his personal life. I think it's silly, but it seems very important to him. He's not just some loser, Tress. He's studying to be an accountanthe already takes care of all of Vil's accounts even though he doesn't have any experience. He's extremely smart and so handsome. I really couldn't have done better than him, Tress. I know you'll love him if you met him, and I really want to be with him. Please don't judge him just because he works for Vil. He is so much more than that. I hope you two get along.

Please give him a chance.

Love,

Edda.

Tressi re-read the letter for the hundredth time. Her eyes clouded over and tears poured down uncontrollably. The paper was crinkled to the point that small tears were starting to form in the more severe creases. She wiped her tears away and smoothened it over.

It'd been six months since Des had died. The events played in a loop everytime she closed her eyes; memories remained inescapable and terrible.

She carefully folded the letter so it creased in a different place. Placing it in her handbag securely, she looked up at the mirror to check her reflection. The bright light of the airport bathroom threw her dark circles into prominence against her pale skin. She pulled her hair into a bun. The back of her neck felt instantly better.

Walking to the terminal, she saw that her flight was on time. That was good. She couldn't imagine spending anymore time in the bright, cold, airport.

The announcement to board the flight came on. Smiling briefly at the cheery hostess, she proceeded to walk into the plane.

Soon, the flight took off and she could see Minty get smaller and smaller. Reclining her seat slightly, she allowed her head to lean back onto the head rest and closed her eyes.

The images came, as they always did, but she didn't fight them. Dr. Gren had advised her not to struggle against the memories or repress them. In the past six months, he'd taught her to deal with any onslaught—be it memories or emotions—head on. So she let them take over her mind.

The first image that popped in was Des dying—as always. It would haunt her till the day she died. She didn't know how long she sat frozen on the wooden steps looking at her husband's body. The sun was long gone and inky blackness had surrounded her. Yet she sat. Until Daxton showed up. He'd been looking for her all evening. He'd seen that she was distraught when she'd left and had followed her to make sure she was okay. But he'd lost her at the intersection and had been waiting at Rothan's for her. When she never showed up, he'd been alarmed and had started searching for her, finally finding her on the deck.

Tressi was sure she'd never have survived what had happened if it hadn't been for Daxton. The police investigation that followed Des's death would've been a nightmare to face by herself. Daxton had personally worked with her lawyer to gather all evidence surrounding Des's criminal past. The trial was fast approaching but he was sure that she'd be cleared of all charges on account of self defense. The case was progressing in a favourable direction; it had been extremely easy for them to post bail because of the overwhelming evidence in her favour.

The thing that really tipped the scales in their direction was when the police discovered that Des had still been working with fences till he died. There were many small level jewellery smuggling cases that he'd been connected with.

In hindsight, Tressi wondered how she'd never seen it. Des had always been flush with cash. They had lived well beyond their means: bigger things like, the exquisite engagement ring that he'd given her with a five carat diamond, flashy televisions, flight tickets he changed at a moment's notice, and smaller everyday things like fancy pastries.

Whenever she'd asked him about any of these things, he'd either avoided talking about it or explained it away, like saying that it was because of a co-worker's last day.

That's why it'd been so difficult to actually see what was happening. He'd always hid behind logic and reason so she could never question him. When she did, what she got in return was a reasonable explanation.

Or maybe she'd just been blind, because she'd loved him so much.

*

When the flight landed in Lapec, she made her way to the baggage counter. She spotted hers right away—it was one of the first ones out. Carefully removing it from the conveyor belt, she made her way outside to find that it was drizzling slightly.

She stood under the shade and extended her arm out into the rain. The refreshing coolness of the water sent tingles up her skin.

Dropping off her luggage at the hotel, she again hailed a cab. As she sat in the back seat, she called Daxton, "Hey, Dax. I'm in the cab. I'll be there soon. Can you meet me in ten minutes?"

Tressi got out, paid the driver and turned around. It was Edda's... resting place. She let out a deep breath.

She didn't have to wait for Daxton for long—he showed up after two minutes.

"Shall we?" he asked, gesturing towards the gate. Tressi nodded.

They walked hand-in-hand through the silent cemetery. The only noises were the muted rain and the rustle of the grass as they walked across it. Soon they reached where Edda lay and Daxton linked their fingers together, squeezing her palm.

Tressi closed her eyes.

I've been struggling so much, coming to terms with the fact that you killed someone. I know you never meant to do it, and I'm not going to let this tarnish the memory that I have of you. You were and always will be, my sister, my friend, my mother.

Peaceful drizzle surrounded them. Water flowed through the canopy of trees, dropping to the ground. In that endless moment, it was all she heard.

Drip. Drip. Drip.