28

Tressi stared transfixed as Patty led Mrs. Waldam to the platform. The crowd gathered around the old woman, joyously singing 'Happy Birthday.' But Tressi didn't join in. She couldn't process what she was seeing.

How could it be?

Des noticed Tressi's abstraction and pulled her aside. "Tress, are you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Tressi couldn't tear her eyes away from Mrs. Waldam's neck. Still staring, she asked, "Did you see what Mrs. Waldam was wearing? On her neck?"

"No. What is it?"

"The locket," she whispered.

"What locket?" he asked, not understanding the significance.

Tressi turned to look at him and spoke with deliberation, "That is the locket Vil gave me and Edda. I destroyed mine but Edda kept hers. That's what you found in Edda's wardrobe today. Do you remember? And now, Mrs. Waldam's wearing an identical one."

She waited for the flicker of intuition to pass through his eyes. But his expression still remained confused. "So?"

"What do you mean, 'So'? This is beyond coincidence, Des. Edda had this and she died, Lila died within a year after Edda's death and now we can see Mrs. Waldam has the locket. What if it'd been Lila's? This is a connection. Don't you see?"

"Didn't you tell me Lila committed suicide?"

"Yeah, that's what everybody assumed. What if she'd been pushed? What if she'd been killed, just like Edda?"

Des looked horrified. "You think the same person killed them both? But what would be the reason? We don't know why Edda was killed and that was clearly a murder. And now, you think Lila was killed too. But why?"

Tress was at a loss. "I... I don't know..."

At that, Des's logic kicked in. He'd gotten over his initial shock. "Are you sure that this is the same locket? And even if it is, it's perfectly possible that you guys just happened to own the same piece of jewellery. That's not far-fetched. I don't know, Tress. The connection is just too flimsy for us to be sure that the two things are linked. And most importantly, why? What would be the motive?"

The motive. That's where she always hit the dead end. Why did someone want to kill Edda? Of all the questions surrounding her sister's death, nothing tormented her more than why something so brutal had been done.

But she was going to find out. The two deaths were linked. She was absolutely sure, despite her husband's reasonings. She just felt it. It was too much of a coincidence. And once they knew more, it would make sense.

Des saw the hopelessness in her eyes morph into determination. With her jaw taut, she said, "I'm gonna find out."

She walked quickly through the crowd of people surrounding Mrs. Waldam. Igna was right by Mrs. Waldam's side, mediating the conversations and making sure she wasn't overwhelmed.

As Tressi approached, Igna drew her aside. "I hope you'll understand, but Mrs. Waldam is under a lot of medications. Her mind might be a bit more clear, but she's still very fragile and the doctors have warned us not to expose her to anything that might cause her distress. So please don't mention her daughter's death. She still thinks Lila is alive so please go along with it."

"I understand," said Tressi.

This was going to be tricky. She'd have to word her questions carefully. She took a moment to think about what she was going to say. Walking up to Mrs. Waldam, she tapped her on the shoulder. Mrs. Waldam turned around, confusion apparent on her face. This was going to be even more hard if she didn't know who Tressi was.

"Mrs. Waldam? Do you recognise me? I'm Tressi. Tressi Sakit. Lila's friend?"

She waited with bated breath wondering if she'd know. After a moment's pause, dull recognition flickered in her eyes and Tressi let out a sigh, relieved.

"Tressi! How are you sweetheart? How's school? You don't come around that often anymore." She smiled with motherly affection.

"School's great, Mrs. Waldam. It's lovely to see you. But I must say, I love that locket on your neck! Do tell me where you bought it," she said, hoping her smile looked genuine.

Mrs. Waldam looked down, and briefly touched the chain. "Oh! This is Lila's, sweetie. She let me borrow it. I think it was... Ricky? That gave it to her? You'd have to ask her where he found it."

"Ricky?" she asked, trying to remember where she'd heard the name before.

"Yes. He's Lila's friend. Have you met him?"

"I don't know. I might have, my memory is really bad, Mrs. Waldam. Can you tell me what he looks like?" Her heart was beating a mile a minute.

"Oh, I haven't met him yet, sweetie. Lila's bringing him for dinner next week. Maybe you could join us then. She tells me he's quite lovely."

Damn it, Tressi thought. Of all the rotten luck.

"Can you tell me anything else about him? Where did she meet him? How do they know each other? How long have they known each other?" Tressi fired off.

With each question, Mrs. Waldam looked more and more confused. "I... I don't know..." She turned away from Tressi, looking out into the crowd. "What's happening here? Who are all these people?" she asked, flustered and bewildered.

Tressi could see that she was losing her. She was desperate to find out more. But before she could say anything, Patty—who was walking through the crowd carrying a huge tray filled with glasses—bumped into Mrs. Waldam, sending both of them tumbling down onto the ground. Cursing under her breath, she roughly pulled Mrs. Waldam up before Igna could see what had happened. But Mrs. Waldam shrieked out in pain and slipped out of her grasp.

"Shut up, you old hag," Patty hissed.

Tressi then intervened, throwing a dirty look at Patty before gently assisting Mrs. Waldam. But the damage had already been done.

Mrs. Waldam was too agitated and started sobbing loudly, drawing everybody's attention. Igna swooped in to see what all the commotion was about. By that time, however, her sobs had become full on bawling as she shouted, "LET ME GO! I HAVE TO GET THE SINK FIXED. LET ME GO!"

She struggled against Tressi, kicking and flailing her arms. Tressi frantically looked around to catch Des's eyes. Within seconds he had his arms around Mrs. Waldam and had subdued her. She couldn't struggle against his strength, but that didn't stop her from clutching his arm, and repeating, "Fix the sink. I'll pay you. Lila will be home soon. The water is everywhere!"

"We have to get her to her room. Mr. Gemira, can you please help me?" Igna panted, as she tried to assist Des. She seemed dismayed at the turn of events. Des nodded and the two of them took Mrs. Waldam back to her room.

He later came back down to find Tressi waiting for him at the bottom of the stairs. With a shake of his head, he said, "Well, you were right. Parties in Lapec are certainly not what I expected them to be."