19

Tressi watched as Edda wrestled with which top to wear. She stood in front of her mirror, holding up one after the next against her torso and twisted sideways, judging it from all angles. The blue sequined one, set off the cream of her skin quite nicely, while the black velvet looked drop dead gorgeous with her hair. But then again, thought Tressi, Edda looked drop dead gorgeous in everything.

The jealous twinge of her thoughts took her by surprise and she tried to think of something else.

But thinking about what she was going to wear wasn't gonna cut it, because her own dress was not a point of contention at all. There were only so many styles she could pull off. A dark purple silk shirt that flowed nicely without clinging to her body, was what she wore anywhere that remotely required her to dress up. But she wasn't gonna wear that-as a sign of protest. Because, the event that they were supposed to get ready for, was the inauguration of Vil's new repair shop.

He'd successfully conned his way to an upscale neighborhood. As a thank you to the investors (who Tressi was convinced were criminals) he'd decided to throw a dinner party.

Dala was ecstatic.

Parties, as a rule, were hard to come by in a place like Lapec. That too, to be the hostess would mean the world to her. She'd been planning this for months and had gotten permission from Tressi's school so she could come home for the weekend.

Tressi was shocked that Dala had even remembered that she existed. But that didn't mean she was happy about the occasion. This was one more (not to mention a very public) way that Vil was becoming a part of their family. Tressi had grumbled to Edda and had sulked all day, but nothing could bring down Edda's spirits.

"Oh cheer up, Tress. It's an excuse to dress up. Let me do your hair and make up. Pleeeaseee," she begged, crouching in front of Tressi who sat at the edge of the bed.

"I'm not playing doll just so we can go and pretend to be that clown's daughters. I'm not even sure I'm gonna go, Edda."

"Don't be like that Tress. It's a party."

"A dinner party"-Tressi clarified-"With criminals."

Edda sighed. "You don't know that, Tress." She got up and walked to her vanity and held out two identical looking silver lockets, "Look at this, he got both of us matching lockets. Isn't that nice?"

Tressi scoffed, "Wonder which pair of twins he stole it from."

Edda rolled her eyes. "Fine. Be like that. Don't come crying to me when we see cute boys there and you wish you'd made an effort."

"Yes, Edda. I'm sure I'll regret not dressing up for the juvenile drug dealers," said Tressi, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Edda huffed and turned away.

*

It was a decent party, Tressi admitted to herself grudgingly later that night. But then again, Lapec was so hopelessly mundane that anything remotely resembling an event would be an instant success.

She tugged at her crinkled brown T-shirt and glanced around the room, her eyes landing on Vil. He was different that night. There was a new side to him. He was in his element and worked the room with finesse that could only come with years of experience. He was hilarious and extremely delightful with all the guests. Even Tressi couldn't help her lips twitching, hearing him talk. She could maybe see why Dala liked him so much. The guy was a first class charmer.

The food was good and the music, hypnotic. Dala was good at this. She too played the perfect hostess, looking after the guests, making sure the glasses were full, because full glasses equaled a good time. Once the conversation had dulled a little, Edda stood up. She looked absolutely lovely in the blue sequins that she'd decided on. She clinked her glass with a spoon, drawing everybody's attention.

"Ooh! Look, Vil. Edda's making a toast!" Dala pointed gleefully.

Edda smiled and said, "Vil, I never thought I'd see Mom truly happy again after Dad was gone. But she was smitten the moment she met you. You've made her into a teenager who can't stop giggling over her first crush. So I just wanna say, thank you for being in our lives."

Vil got up from his seat and went to hug Edda. "Thanks kid, this means a lot. Especially with what I'm about to do," he murmured in her ear and turned to face Dala. Holding her gaze, he sank down on to one knee and held out a ring.

Dala gasped.

Taking in a deep breath, he said, "Dala Sakit, I've loved you since the moment I saw you. It's amazing that we found each other and that your kids accept me. I think we should take it to the next step. What do you say? Wanna be my wife?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

Dala squealed, "Yes! Yes! Of course I do."

Vil placed the ring on her finger and they hugged each other as the room erupted into applause.

Tressi watched the scene unfold in front of her, wordlessly. Her eyes stung and her hands clasped at her sides. Her fingernails dug into her palms as she watched her sister and her mother huddle over the diamond. Its multiple facets glittered in the light from the chandelier as Vil looked over Dala and Edda affectionately-a picture perfect family. Everybody in the room made their way over to the happy couple, offering their congratulations.

Tressi took it all in as if she wasn't there; as if it was happening to somebody else and she was a mere spectator. It seemed as if an iron fist had clamped around her heart and her chest constricted as her breath came in short gasps. She whirled around madly looking for the exit-anything to get away, before the scene made her sick. She yanked the door open and stepped out into the darkened street. It was drizzling lightly. Turning her face up to heavens, she came to a realisation.

She was alone.