XXXVII:THIRTY-SEVEN - Her Condition

Jeongyeon and Jimin were walking in the middle of the night outside the house towards the tree Jeongyeon wants to go to.

Jeongyeon is pulling him

"Yaaaah! Jagi, c'mon let's go back home. I'll buy you tomorrow I promise." Jimin said

"No! I want it right now!" she said

Then they reached the tree.

"There, get me what I want." she said and then pointed at the tree

Jimin really doesn't want to.

Jimin

Really, what has gotten into her? Why is she like this? So cranky and demanding.

Honestly, the moment she told me to pick her a mango in the tree in the middle of the night I was scared.

Why?

Because, when we were all kids, halmeoni always told us that there are mysterious creatures living in huge trees like mango trees. And once we disturb those creatures they will do something bad to us.

"What?! No! Jagi, c'mon let's just go home." I said pulling Jeongyeon far from the tree

But, she was stubborn, she did not let me pull her and instead, she pulled me back.

She pointed at the tree again

"Fetch me what I want! Or else I am telling you Jimin, you are going to regret it." she said

She is making me scared of her. I looked at her and then to the tree and back to her. I scratched the back of my hair and then gave in to what she wants.

I walked nervously to the tree. I prayed that what halmeoni told us before are just myths. I said the chant that halmeoni taught us as shield against those said mysterious creatures

Tabi, tabi nuno po, wag po manununo
I whispered to myself
(To Filipino readers, I think you know this😆 especially to those who live in a province and close to the elders)

I then held the tree and took a deep breath. I tightened my grip on the branch and then started to climb the tree. It was hard to climb the tree and I think the last time I climbed a tree was when I was in sixth grade. Ghad, that was so long ago.

"There, there, pick that one on your left, the big one." she pointed excitedly

I looked at my left and saw the mango she wanted. I extended my hand to reach the mango and the other hand holding on tight to the branch to keep me from falling.

"Yeah there, you are doing great." Jeongyeon cheered

She is smiling like a child there, waiting for me to give her what she wants. She has her eye smile and her hands are clasped. Ghad she looks so cute but I am annoyed that I am here like an idiot.

When I finally reached the fruit, I pulled it and when I finally had it in my hand Jeongyeon cheered and clapped her hands

"Wooow! Yehey! Thank you jiminie..." she cheered and then, I bended down to give her the fruit, she reached it and when she got hold of the mango her eyes were twinkling.

Oh thank God, I am done. I can go back down. I was about to climb down but she stopped me.

"Oh wait! Get me another one." she said