vingt-deux

Vingt-deux - Twenty-Two

The basement was in pretty much the same state that it had been every other time that those same friends found themselves there. Rory was still sat beside Jordan, and his heart still raced every single time that the boy laughed or spoke. It was both endearing and miserable. The concept of having a beautiful love story always appealed to him, but the idea of actually doing so kept him awake at night.

Of course it did. To fall in love for him, meant to fall in love with a boy. Something that his parents and other friends would not be thrilled to learn about. His other friends may be a bit accepting of people like Fay, but that didn't mean that they full-on supported it. Sometimes Rory wondered if there were other guys on the team who were also gay, and if they just did a better job of suppressing it.

Mia and Tom were currently holding the controllers, playing a very competitive round of Super Smash Bros. They threw around playful and creative insults as they did so. It was definitely entertaining to watch.

Sat on the far side of the other couch, Eden was silently watching the screen as they played. He didn't look all too good, but Rory wasn't sure if he was just imagining that. After what happened in school on Wednesday, Mia insisted on inviting Eden over with the hopes of making him feel better. Today it was now Friday.

The whole school knew about the occurrence, but no one knew about the reasons. It was intriguing, but Rory also thought that the whole thing was unfair for Eden. He didn't seem to be in a normal state of mind since then, and it was painful to watch everyone infatuate themselves with something that was absolutely none of their business.

All Rory and everyone else knew was that Eden and Fay had been in some sort of argument. People were saying that it sounded like it was about help or allowing someone to help. But what that meant, Rory hadn't the slightest clue. All he knew was that Eden threw up, and Fay took him to the nurse's office.

"Want to go against me?" Jordan's voice echoed in Rory's ear as he was lightly nudged in the arm.

Snapping out of the trance of admittedly nosy thoughts, Rory quickly nodded with a smile. How could he not? Anything Jordan said or did caused for Rory's mind to fog up and his body to completely function out of his control. He was completely - wholeheartedly - whipped for that boy.

"Why not?" He grabbed the controller from Jordan, their hands lightly grazing one another. It caused for the breath to be knocked out of Rory's lungs. Somedays he found that it was even harder to not react to every little thing that Jordan said and did.

Attempting to divert his focus to the game on the large screen mounted to the wall, Rory and Jordan quickly began a round of their own.

Eden watched from the couch, completely silent, completely empty. Both literally, and metaphorically. Eden didn't feel well, and he didn't feel up to do much more than breathe. Even doing that hurt his chest.

All it took was for that memory to resurface, and suddenly the floodgates were destroyed. Everything, even things that Eden's mind seemed to completely erase out of existence, were now a permanent fixture in his head. Things that both Piper and his father did to him that he somehow forgot about, were now on repeat and were not planning on going anywhere anytime soon.

When Mia kept sending him messages, wanting to make sure that he was alright and asking if he wanted to chill with his friends, Eden was only hesitant for a brief moment. He didn't want to get out of bed or subject himself to being social. But at the same time, he didn't want to stare at his ceiling for another moment. He wasn't sure how much more he could take before he did something he regretted.