trois

Trois - Three

Fay wasn't sure what he had witnessed. Hidden and crouched behind a clothing rack, Fay waited for Eden and the woman to leave the store. He cursed his tall height, hoping that he hadn't been seen. Eisley didn't even have to bother crouching down, since she was already too short to be noticed.

When he was sure that Eden was gone, Fay stood straight and turned to Eisley with a confused expression. None of that made sense to him. The way that Eden had appeared so blank, the way that he cowered away from the woman in pure exhaust. Fay had never seen something like that before.

"What do you think that was about?" Eisley eventually mumbled, her brow quirked up as she faced Fay.

"No clue." He replied. He hadn't even noticed that he was no longer hungry, or that he wasn't in the mood to shop anymore. Fay just let Eisley guide him around the store until they found the shirt that they came in there for. By the time they bought it and left, Fay had pushed the scene out of his mind.

The food smelt greasy. It hung within the air like a musk, surrounding Eden's head and nipping at his skin. To avoid it, Eden pulled up his hood, sinking deep within his sweatshirt. He silently followed Destiny into a small restaurant within the food court. The booth that they sat in was worn-down and questionable, but Eden didn't say anything.

When they ordered their food, Destiny ordered for him. She knew what he would want, and she knew that he wouldn't say it himself. What she didn't know, was how many meals he had been skipping.

It wasn't so much an intentional thing as it was a careless thing. Eden couldn't be bothered to eat when he was trying so desperately hard to live. As far as he was concerned, eating wasn't a priority. He knew that it should have been, but it simply wasn't. Eating just made him feel sick. It brought back old memories that he spent the darkest hours trying to suppress.

That was probably part of the reason as to why he was so tired. Going long periods of time without eating would easily tire someone. Even though he knew that, he still didn't bother. There were just some things that felt impossible.

However, when a plate with a burger and fries was sat in front of him, he couldn't stop himself. His hands wrapped around the sandwich, bringing it to his mouth as though it were godly. It was a lot easier to ignore his hunger when he wasn't around food. But the moment that it was entirely surrounding him, the hunger soon became impossible to bear.

Destiny wasn't a fan of his mannerless eating, but she said nothing. As Eden shoved fries into his mouth at a rapid pace, he couldn't stop to think. The only thing motivating him was the absolute emptiness that was his stomach. For the first time in a while, he realized just how often he would skip meals.

As always, Destiny was perceptive. It took her only a few seconds to realize why he was eating like that. She knew that he must not have been eating. In her eyes, that meant he was deliberately starving himself. She didn't know of the weights pressing down on his shoulders.

Eden didn't even give himself time to enjoy the food. He couldn't. That was his number one rule. Eden would eat when he had to, but he wouldn't do it slowly. The slower he went, the faster his brain was able to be. Which meant a long and dark path that Eden couldn't go down. Going there meant too many things. None of which he could handle.

So Eden continued to force the food down his throat. It should have felt good. It should have felt relieving. But it was neither. His body wasn't used to such a fast intake of food or even such a large quantity. Eden rarely ever binged, and even when he did, it was never that bad. He couldn't stop himself. The pang of hunger was all that he could feel. More food fell down his throat.