Chapter 30: The King's Jackpot

Start from the beginning

"I'm not physically hurt. Mingi though, he's been through a lot. When I came here he was full of bruises and wounds. First it was because he wouldn't tell them where we were hiding, until it was because of him fighting back."

Gabrielle's hands let go of Xion's face and instead, covered her mouth. She couldn't imagine Mingi being so hurt. She looked around the cell to find Mingi but there wasn't a sign of him. "Where's Mingi?"

"They took him." Xion replied. "He just comes back unconscious. Then I'm next."

"Where? What do they do!?" Gabrielle's heart was beating so fast as she learns what has been happening to them in here.

"I don't remember anything after I wake up back here." Xion shook his head but he reached for the collar of his shirt and pulled it down. "But Gabrielle... My mark... It's slowly coming back."

Gabrielle stared at the mark below Xion's collarbone in disbelief. "H-how... They really must have found a way to bring back your curse."

"I want to go home, Gabrielle. Let's go home with Mingi. Please." Xion begged Gabrielle. She placed her hand on his cheek. "We'll escape from here okay? I'll find a way--"

The door of the isolated room suddenly opened, stopping Xion and Gabrielle from talking. The angel's eyes soon widened as she saw Mingi being carried towards the cell across from theirs.

She looked at Mingi unconsciously laying slump on the ground with his body indeed full of wounds and bruises. She felt like running towards him.

"I see the angel finally woke up." The King beamed when he saw her up.

Gabrielle looked at the king and understood that it's really him. The one she despises the most. Seeing him personally made her hatred towards him grow bigger than how it already is. "What did you do to him?"

Xion held onto Gabrielle's hand as the king walked towards their cells.

"I'm ruining your plans just as how you're ruining mine." The King smirked at her. "Aren't you mad? You know, seeing your friends regaining their curse after working so hard to get rid of it?"

"Don't you dare lay a finger on them or I swear I'll--"

"You'll what? You'll kill me? Maybe you forgot where you are, angel. You are in my hands and in my kingdom. You have no power to even do that. Even in your state."

"We'll see about that." Gabrielle gritted through her teeth as she glared at him. "Don't think so highly just because I'm imprisoned here. You never know when the tables turn."

"Nah ah," The king waved his finger. "The tables have already turned the moment you failed to protect him. Them. That was the moment when fate has began to side with me. I would very much like to have you dead on the spot but the amount of destruction you have made with my plans just couldn't be paid off with only your death alone."

Seonghwa entered the isolated room and smirked at how Gabrielle looked inside the cell. Satisfaction was completely present on his face.

"In next month's eclipse, I'll let you watch your seven friends submit to their sins and become the pillars of it. I'll let you watch everything crumble and after that is your long awaited death."

"And your head--" The king bent down to hold Gabrielle's chin but she backed further away. Not because she's scared of him, but because it disgusts her that the king she despises would even touch her.

The king chuckled and clenched his fists, putting it down before standing up. "Soon I'll be able to grab a hold of it and have it as my decoration. It will serve as a trophy."

Xion squeezed Gabrielle's hand. "He's scary, Gabrielle."

Upon hearing his voice, the king glanced at Xion who immediately averted his gaze from him. "Look who's next? The little boy! The kind little boy!" He sounded excited as he motioned for the guards to open the cell.

Gabrielle's eyes widened when the guards began opening Xion's cell and walked towards him. Xion instantly held onto Gabrielle tightly with his eyes closed. "No, not again."

"What do you think you're doing!? Stay away from him!" Gabrielle yelled at the guards who held Xion's arms. "Don't touch him! Let go!"

"Gabrielle!" Xion cried out as he felt himself being pulled away from her. "I don't want to go with them!"

"Hold me tight." Gabrielle said, her hands holding onto Xion tightly. "Let go of him, you bastards! Are you deaf!? I said let him go!"

The guards ignored her and went on taking Xion.

First it was Xion's arms she's holding.

It became his wrists.

His right wrist.

Then his hand, and his fingers.

"NO!" Gabrielle yelled when the guards successfully grabbed Xion away from her grasp.

"Gabrielle!" Xion cried out, his legs being dragged on the ground.

She stood up to even try running after him but after one step, she instantly fell on the ground. She let out a frustrated yell. "Not this again!"

"Xion!" She crawled on the ground until she reached the front of her cell. Her hands reached out for Xion, even until the door has closed when they left. As if she could reach him and bring him back to her.

"Tsk tsk tsk." The king looked at Gabrielle with his head shaking slowly. "What a poor little angel. Crawling with her life to reach her mortal friend."

"What are you going to do with him!?" Gabrielle glared at the king. "If he comes back with a single scratch, I swear I'm going to kill you with my bare hands."

The king laughed loudly, even Seonghwa chuckled. "Here she goes with her empty threats."

"Don't worry, angel. He won't be hurt. I'm just reviving some of his memories. Well, maybe give some twists? But seriously, don't worry. He won't be hurt unless he asks for it."

As if that's going to comfort Gabrielle.

"I'll see you later, angel. I still need to attend your friend's memoir. I'd like to have some nice talk with you. I've been wanting to meet you." The king waved his hand at her before leaving. "See you later."

Gabrielle just glared at the king leaving the room.

See you later, my ass.

The king has left the room and Seonghwa walked towards Gabrielle's cell with a smug smirk on his face.

Gabrielle wanted to jump into him and wipe that smirk off his face with her nails.

It was all because of him.

"Too bad, I'll be leaving you alone as well, little angel. Your other friend is still asleep so you might be really bored here." Seonghwa clicked his tongue. "But don't worry, I'll bring the rest of your friends here so you could bond again."

"Don't you even dare." Gabrielle gritted through her teeth as she glared at him with her fists clenched. She may be glaring but she's plotting different ways on how to kill Seonghwa in her mind.

"Oh, I'd dare, little angel. I'll give you your present soon." Seonghwa walked towards the door and closed it.

Gabrielle doesn't even know anymore who she despises more between the king or Seonghwa. What's in her mind is how she'd end them and escape here with Xion and Mingi.

She glanced at Mingi and sighed in distress. If only she could walk towards him. She could only look at Mingi and the traces of their torture.

He really went through so much.

"I'm so sorry, Mingi."

I'm sorry, everyone.