Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

<Sophia’s POV>

My self revelation was broken when a car honked at me.  A black Prius pulls up to the curb and rolls down the window. Out pops a  blonde head full of curls. A young man in his early 20’s greets me with a wide grin. His brown eyes twinkle when he smiles.

“Cameron?” I ask in surprise.

He jumps out the car and captures me in a bear hug. I wrap my arms around him and smile into his shoulder. I squeeze him back harder. I pull away and smile up at him. He has a goofy smile on his face. I reach out and ruff his hair. He swats my hand away.

“How have you been, kid?” I ask him with a grin.

“Kid? Who are you calling kid, grandma?” he retorts teasingly.

“Hey! 25 is no where near being a grandma,” I playful answer.

“And 20 is no where near being a kid!” he shoots back.

“I’ve missed you, kid.”

He grins, “I’ve missed you too grandma.”

Last time I saw Cameron, he was only 14 years old. He just hit puberty and was growing facial hair. Now in front of me stands a man, no longer a boy. He used to babysit the twins with Jamie.

“We better get going. Darcy is waiting for us back in headquarters,” he informs me.

I snort, “So you’re my babysitter?”  

“Something like that. I like to think of myself as a supervisor.”

“What ever makes you sleep better at night, kid. Let’s get a move on,” I hand him my suitcase.

***

A rush of warm air is released in the car when Cameron turns on the heater. I rest my palms against the vent and savory the warmth. Cameron cocks his head and looks over at me.

“How are the twins doing?” he asks curiously.

“Just peachy. As of now, they are probably tied up and are being held hostage. Just a normal day in the Carter family,” I reply sarcastically.

He shifts in his seat uncomfortably, “Look Soph, it was just a precaution. If it makes you feel better, I voted against it. Darcy overruled and... what she decides is finally. Kind of a perk of being a leader.”

My head snaps up in surprise, “ A leader? How?”

“Remember the night of the mission, six years ago. Jacobson was captured the night of the mission. He was injected with silver and was tortured by Alpha Nicholas. He died shortly after. Darcy received the title soon after she was released from the hospital. Since then, she has been calling the shots alongside Andre,” he replies with his eyes still on the road.

I nod my head in understanding. Jacobson was a good leader, but he suffered in the end. Silver poisoning is the worst death ever imagined for Wolves. It’s a suffering that I wouldn’t wish for my worst enemy.

“It still doesn’t explain why she is such a b*tch.”

“How else is she suppose to be. Losing your mate isn’t exactly a walk in the park,” he points out.

I freeze in shock, “What?”

“Crap. I forgot you weren’t here,” he answers sheepishly.

Even though I didn’t like Darcy at the moment, I still cared about her. She took care of me at one point. She was my support system. I have yet to met my mate and she has already lost hers. I felt pity and sympathy for her. Losing a mate is unbearable.

“Who was her mate?” I interrogate him.

He pauses and looks unsure if he should answer. He takes his eyes off the road and looks into my eyes. He has a look of hesitance and bites his lip.

“Jacobson. He was her mate,” he lets out in one breath.

“W-What? But how? How did she survive?”

“He rejected her before he passed. It was his last gift to her. His way of lessening the pain of his death. They knew they were mates for months. They didn’t act on their feelings and chose to discuss it after the mission. But that never happened. Their bond may have been small, but it changed her for good. She became a cold and closed off person. She wanted to avenge Jacobson, but Andre convinced her not to. She wanted to punish an Alpha. It became her obsession. They one day she realized who was the perfect victim.”

“The Alpha King,” I murmur.

He nods in agreement.

“Then why does she need me?”

“In her eyes, you left. You abandoned her. You were her best friend and she needed you. This is her way of punishing you.”

“How was I suppose to know! I thought she was dead. There was no pulse!” I cry out.

“That’s not what she thinks. She believes that you are a traitor. You left without a word,” his words lingered in the air.

“Do you think I’m a traitor?”

“No.” he replies with no hesitation.

“Why?”

“Because I know you, Soph. You just wanted to protect your family. Running is all you have known,” he gently points out.

“Anyways, this is your opportunity at a fresh start with her. Do the mission and earn her trust again.”

I snort, “I don’t care about her trust. I’m only doing this for my kids. They are all that matters.”

He sighs knowing that he is fighting a losing battle.

“Anyways, we have arrived.”

The highway sign welcomed us into Berkeley, California.

--------------------------------------------------------

Heey! I had time on my hands today so I decided to update! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! Love you guys <3

Comment and vote :)

Twitter: @HazelFarahFrost