34) Overnight Stay

Loki hadn't really done much during his three days in Malibu. He'd temporarily disabled Jarvis' cameras in order to practise some magic and gone through copious amounts of paperwork which Pepper had left for him and Tony to do but which he knew Tony would never look at. He'd ruminated on the past week and the Tesseract. It had been a wholly uneventful time in Malibu in comparison to his time on the Helicarrier.

When the doorbell rang, Loki found Tony on the doorstep.

"I figured you'd be here," Tony stated, coming in.

Loki raised an eyebrow.

"I did tell you I would be here. And have you lost your key?"

"Jarvis told me he was disabled for a bit yesterday so I thought manual entrance would be safer," Tony shrugged. "I assume it was nothing to worry about?"

"Just a small glitch," Loki lied easily. "Jarvis says that he's working on it."

"Indeed, Sir," came Jarvis' synthesised voice.

"Good," Tony stated, seeming pleased.

"So why are you back?" Loki asked. "I thought everyone was staying on board the Helicarrier."

Tony shrugged again.

"It's pretty boring there. Nobody wanted me poking about and there's nothing I can tell them. I figured keeping you company was more productive."

"Thank you."

"No problem. What say you to a game of chess?"

*

Loki won the first game of chess and then the next.

"I knew I should have spent more time practising as a child," Tony said thoughtfully. "Jarvis never wanted to play against me."

"My brother never played with me either," Loki grinned ruefully. "He was sore about losing."

"Where is he now, your brother?" Tony asked.

Loki shook his head.

"I lost contact with him a long time ago. We had a disagreement over our father."

"Fair enough," Tony replied, giving him a knowing smile.

There was a pause.

"Say, Alden," Tony spoke again, "Do you mind me bringing in some... Female company?"

"And here I was thinking that I was your one and only love," Loki laughed.

"Yeah, sorry," Tony smirked. "You broke my heart."

"I thought Pepper was my replacement."

"Nah. I'm too chaotic for her."

"I don't think chaotic is the right word. 'A mess' is more like it."

"You know I don't like your brutal honesty, Alden."

"No more than I like yours, Tony," Loki pointed out.

"Fine, we're even."

"Well," Loki stated, standing, "I'll be hiding in the lab if you need me. Hopefully, of course, you won't."