Five Nights at Maddie's

"Uh, Gertrude?" Johnny heard her respond in a happy-nervous chime, "Yess?" The sound of rushing water had stopped, "What happened?" Johnny gulped. "Where do you.. Where is the guest bedroom?" There was a short pause. "Oh, silly me! Uh, you have the second floor sunroom! It's the big glass room with plants in it. You can't miss it." Johnny nodded, peeking into the sunroom, "Okay, eh, thanks!" "No problem!" Gertrude replied.

Inside the sunroom, there were two air mattresses, each completed with a pillow and two layers of sheets. The sunroom, strangely, had no cracks in the glass or smudges. This was probably Gertrude's sanctuary.. Possibly where she went when she was tired of the family fighting or just needed some space. The plants were thriving, and not a single leaf looked the slightest shade of brown or yellow. Small beads of water where hanging off the plants' leaves and flower buds, as if she had just watered them two hours ago. Johnny had almost forgot it was winter. He set the bags down next to the mattresses, careful not to squash any unsuspecting plants, and sat on the bed closest to the glass. He knew Toast, he likes to sleep in the corners or near solid walls. Through the glass, he could see him playing with the kids, counting, as they scrambled to hiding spots. Toast really was some kind of child expert. He seemed to like being around children, and playing with them is no exception. Johnny watched them, smiling as Toast found Sally, causing the girl to erupt in laughter. Throughout all their adventures together, Ghost was drained by the possibility that Toast was going to eventually grow into a fine man, get married, and possibly have children. And the first two were nearly fulfilled. Toast had met a girl, Tania, and loved her to bits. Tania's a really nice woman, Ghost recalled, But she's the only thing slowly tearing him and Johnny apart. They had first met Tania during one of their missions. Tania's father had called, saying that something was haunting their bathroom. It turned out to be the Toilet Toucher, who was sent to jail in cell without any toilets; that was a mistake they were never going to make again. Of course, it was Ghost who had figured out the case (though it was quite a simple one), because Tania was compelled to avert Toast's attention from work to herself. Toast was, actually, fine with it. He liked her diligence and persistence, Toast had said.

"Uhm, Sir?"

"Gah!"

Ghost has landed face first into a fern, which was inches away from a cactus. "Sorry, sir." Toast helped Ghost out of the fern, which strangely popped back into its original place, and patted his back. "Gertrude is calling for laundry. Would you like me to wash your hood, sir?" Johnny snickered. "Aha. No, thank you. You can have my socks, if you'd like." Toast hesitated, flinching a bit before answering. "No.." Sniffff.. "I think your socks are quite fine." Johnny managed himself a small chuckle as he watched Toast turn towards the door. "Eh, Sir?"

"Yeah?"

"Would you mind making dinner with me? The kids are quite hyperactive for tomorrow and I can't keep Sally in one place for her to help me." Ghost was surprised at how motherly Toast sounded and how easily the words came out of his mouth. But, despite his depressing and lonely thoughts from a minute ago, he decided to push it aside and enjoy a moment with his..

Best friend.

~

It was about 4 PM when they had finished cooking. Toast had decided on preparing pork (or whatever that meat was that they found in the fridge) with sautéed veggies. They didn't have a hard time finding butter, and the Acachalla's, despite their ghetto nature, had a good amount of seasoning to make the vegetables. The meat turned out pretty good, and it smelled delicious. Ghost was about ready to set the table, when he found that Billy was already sitting there hungrily. He had already set the table, and every seat was ready for someone to sit and eat. Just as the family was ready to eat, there was a knock at the door. (Before I mention who's at the door, let me point out that I used the word "family") "I'll get it!" Billy slide his chair backwards and bounded out of the kitchen. Gertrude and Papa exchanged nervous glances, Ghost shrugged, while Sally and Toast whispered to each other and ended up bursting in a fit of giggles. "I know who's there. I invited them!" Sally whispered, then leaning closer into Toast's ear. Johnny couldn't make out any names after that. A shrill shriek followed shortly after, Billy running back into the room, looking completely terrified.

"Billyyyyyy! Where are you?"

"Eeek! She's coming! Hiddeee..." Ghost watched as he ducked under the counter and hid inside a cabinet. A scrawny girl, about age 10, screeched to a stop in front of the group. She smiled, which looked odd on her face. "Is Billy here?" She asked in an angel-like tone. Papa had signaled for her not to, but Gertrude nodded. "Right over there! Behind the counter, sweetie." The girl nodded, poking her cheeks cutely, as if she were some sort of anime girl. "Thank youuu~!" The cute factor of the girl was gone soon after she said this, Johnny realized, because after that, Billy was being dragged out of the cabinet by his feet. "Billy, will you sign my shirt now?" Gertrude sprang out of her seat and grabbed the other end of Billy. "Heheh... No, he's not.. Thank you, for coming by Maddie--" "STOP TRYING TO TAKE MY BILLY AWAY FROM ME." Maddie yanked harder on Billy's legs, who was screaming bloody murder. "This is even worse than the time Papa sent me to the moon!" Gertrude stood up, obviously frustrated. "You did what?!" A moment of silence passed without anyone moving or saying anything. The silence was only broken when Billy slapped himself out of Maddie's hands, running out of the room and supposedly out of the house. "Billy!" Maddie whined, "Come back!" She sprinted after him, and surprisingly, was gone after a few bursts of velocity. "You still haven't signed my shirt!" The remaining group had already sat down again to eat. "Sally, you're going to have to help Billy with the whole Maddie situation after dinner, okay?" Sally nodded. "Okay!"

After dinner, and after Sally had pried Billy away from Maddie, they family had gathered in the living room, where Maddie, Billy, and Sally stood adjacent towards the chatting group, the latter of the three looking pale. Maddie was the first to speak. "My parents called and said that I can stay for the rest of the week! So I can spend Christmas with Billy. I'll be staying here for five nights, I'll sleep here on Sunday night, and go back home on Monday." Billy tried to convey the message to Gertrude not to approve of the idea, but despite all his attempts, Maddie was staying for Christmas.

"It's a Christmas miracle." Maddie had whispered in Billy's ear. "A miracle."