Chapter 6

Oscar and Juniper went to the cinema to see a movie. That would give them something to talk about and make them feel less stressed. During the movie, Oscar eventually reached over to hold Juniper's hand. She was secretly thrilled, knowing that things were really moving forward between them.

"I had a good time" Juniper smiled.

"So did I, but I have one last thing to show you."

Oscar took her to a place overlooking the small town. From there you had a great view of the beautiful starry sky and the shining lights of the town.

"I come here sometimes to think."

"It's beautiful!"

"Just like you" Oscar smiled. "I wanted to ask you if you'd consider dating me? I know it's a bit early but I can't help but notice a connection between us."

"I've noticed it too, and I would be happy to date you."

This was the first time Juniper had been romantically involved with someone, so it was quite exciting. Oscar would text her every morning, and they'd go back and forth every day all day. Juniper would walk down to the bakery every day where Oscar would surprise her with a sweet treat. It all seemed to be going swimmingly.

One day, when Juniper went down to the bakery, she noticed something different: there was an ice cream machine outside and a girl standing there.

"Hey Oscar, what's that ice cream machine outside?"

"We get it from the ice cream parlor down the street each summer. It's great for hot weather like this."

"And who's the girl out there?"

"Jasmine, the daughter of the guy who owns the place."

As if on cue, Jasmine came inside. "It's boiling hot out there! We may want to consider putting up a tent or something." Jasmine touched Oscar's arm in a way Juniper didn't like.

"Who's this?"

"This is Juniper."

"Hey there, I'm Jasmine."

The two shook hands, but all the while Juniper wondered why Oscar hadn't told her about Jasmine.

Juniper decided to hang around, and she watched how the two got on. It was obvious that they'd known each other for a while, and it made her feel uncomfortable. Had something happened between them before?

That evening Juniper didn't text Oscar as usual. In fact, she ignored him for a couple of days. Eventually he decided to come over and find out what was going on.

"Juniper? Juniper can you come out and talk to me?"

Janet answered the door. "I don't think she wants to."

"Why not?"

"She's mad at you."

Oscar was confused. "How am I supposed to make it better when I don't even know what's wrong?"

"Fair point." Janet shrugged and let him in. "She's in the garden."

Juniper was lying on a lounge chair, reading a book. Oscar came and sat next her.

"Hey Juniper."

She put down her book and looked at him. "Hello Oscar."

"You haven't been answering my texts. What's wrong?"

"Why didn't you tell me about Jasmine?"

"Jasmine? She's just a friend."

"How would I know that? I've only been here 5 minutes."

"You're right, I'm sorry. She's a friend of mine and has been for about 5 years."

"Has anything ever happened between you?"

"Well, 2 years ago she told me she had feelings for me, but I didn't return them. She's never brought it up again."

"Okay."

Juniper sighed. "It's just that you didn't introduce me as your girlfriend, so I immediately felt insecure."

"I'm really sorry. It's the first time I've done this and I don't quite know how to go about it."

"Me neither to be honest." Juniper smiled a little. "Shall we start again?"

"Okay."

"Juniper, will you be my girlfriend, my one and only girl?"

"Of course I will" Juniper smiled.

Oscar smiled back and took his chance, leaning in to kiss her for the first time.

"I knew it!" Janet exclaimed behind them. "I shipped it."

Oscar and Juniper laughed as they separated, sitting hand in hand.