Chapter 5

Over the next week, Juniper went to Ginger Snap Bakery daily. Oscar was always there to greet her with a smile, and they had long conversations over a baked treat.

Juniper got to know Oscar's family: his mother, Veronica, his father, David, his older brother Steven and his younger brother Tony. Janet also became a regular at the bakery, tagging along out of sheer boredom.

"Hey, you know how you said you'd do home deliveries?"

"Yes?"

"It's my mum's birthday tomorrow and I was wondering if you could deliver a cake for her."

"Sure. What kind of things does she like?"

"She's more of a fruit person, so I'm thinking a fruit tart?"

"Okay, I've got you covered."

Oscar ran a hand through his hair. "Hey, tomorrow is my day off, so do you want to do something?"

"I wouldn't mind if you came over and helped me set things up for mum."

"A formal invitation to your house? I'm in."

"Don't be silly" Juniper blushed.

The next day, Oscar came over bright and early. He'd brought a lovely cake with him and a couple of pastries for the party.

"Figured you might need these" he shrugged.

"Thanks Oscar, you're the best."

Janet and Juniper had a whole bunch of decorations to hang up as well as presents to wrap.

"Oscar, you can help me hang things up. Janet, start wrapping gifts."

Oscar was used to hanging up banners, so it was child's play for him. He expertly arranged things to look nice and then moved on to the food, his specialty.

"What are you making for your mum to eat?"

"Spaghetti bolognaise. It's her favorite meal."

"Have you ever made it?"

"A couple of times."

"I can help you, my mum has a great recipe."

"Show me then."

As well as being a good handyman, Oscar was also a good teacher. He was patient and kind, everything Juniper could ask for. He was truly perfect, and Juniper began to realize that something was being born between them.

"Are you staying for the party?"

"Only if you want me to."

"I do."

"Okay then."

"My mum would like to meet you anyway."

"Would she?"

"Yeah. Apparently I mention you too much."

Oscar laughed. "Same here. I think Steven wants to kill me."

The two of them looked at each other shyly.

"So...do you want to go to out with me? Like to go do something."

"Like a date?"

"Yes." Oscar blushed.

"Sure, I'd love to."

"Great" he smiled.

Juniper's mum loved her surprise party and she was delighted to finally meet Oscar. He stayed for all of the celebrations and went home late, texting to say that he'd had a really good time. They set a date to go out together which Juniper found herself looking forward to.