11┃the firsts of lasts

Start from the beginning

Mila cracks her eyes back open, greeted with Kai's charming smile and twinkling eyes. She wasn't exactly surprised Kai wanted to do something fun and celebrate. Although, she knew very well more often than not, there was an underlying motive behind Kai's suggestions.

"What are you up to?" She raises an eyebrow at him.

"Nothing," he denies, snaking his arms her waist. "Just wanna have dinner with my girl."

"I don't believe you. And I'm not your girl anymore."

"Oh, Mila. Don't you get it yet? Together or not, worlds apart or not, you'll always be my girl."

As his invoking response settles in, Kai cranes his neck down to kiss her forehead, something that makes her stiff body relax in his hold. She closes her eyelids once more at the action, letting herself become immersed by him, even if it is for a few seconds. It was a relief not to pretend that she didn't want to be close to him.

When Kai pulls back, her eyes flutter open, a certain warmth found within them now. He almost thought that she would guide him closer to her, but instead she snaps out of the distracted state she was in, slipping out of his grasp. Her eyes settle on the floor to avoid his gaze.

"You can cook dinner. And maybe I'll wear a dress if I'm up for it. You better look nice too." Mila compromises, clearing her throat. She's almost embarrassed by how easily she let him get under her skin.

"It's a date." He agreed, his lips upturning again into a smirk.

This causes Mila to finally look him in the eyes, scowling at the term he used. "It's not a date."

She's past him and out of the kitchen before he could say something else. He turns his head, watching her departing form travel up the stairs. He even bites his lip, knowing despite what she claims, it does mean something.

━━━━━

"TELL ME, IS THIS A DATE?"

Elena's voice causes her to turn her head away from her reflection. Her friend is leaning against the closet doorway, the suggestive smile only adding to her amused expression. Mila shakes her head at Elena, running her palms over the form-fitting dress hugging her body.

"Of course not."

"Really? That's not why you... shaved your legs and put on more makeup than usual and came over here to borrow my clothes."

Mila snorted. "So, just because I want to look nice automatically means it's date?"

"You see, normally I would say no," Elena begins, walking towards Mila who still stood in front of a mirror, "but we both know Kai thinks it's a date. Damon would think it's a date if I didn't cover for you. I think it's a date, and as you can tell from Caroline spamming your phone, she obviously thinks it's a date too. It seems the only one who disagrees is you."

Mila meets Elena's stare through the mirror, not missing the knowing way she crossed her arms over her chest. She sighs, very well knowing how it looks to everyone else, but honestly she made it clear to Kai directly it wasn't a date. She still didn't know Kai very well and was approaching their friendship cautiously.

"Listen, I like Kai, but we're just going out as friends. He wants to take me out to dinner to try to make up for everything he's done. That's it. I promise." Mila clarified, turning around to face Elena.