Kids~1

Out of reach

(Head in the Clouds by Joji, 88rising)

The girl jolted awake- eyes frantic and wild as they darted around the room; a room she had never seen before

It was bleak; cold, white walls towered high over her head like a cage, and the room nearly held no furniture, yet a small, grey bed was pressed against the wall opposite to her.

The walls seemed to exhale a constant, chilled breath that made a shiver crawl up her spine, and she wrapped her arms around her sleeved arms- soon glancing down and realizing that she was in some type of uniform.

A small, blue shield emblem was stitched into the corner of her white, long sleeve shirt, accompanied by baggy, pale pants that surpassed her ankles, and the sight of such unfamiliar outfit made her stomach churn with nervousness.

She gasped quietly as her eyes trailed to her wrist, where the four numbers 4118 were tattooed in a fading, blueish ink, staining her skin permanently.

A wide mirror stretched along the wall, and you could almost see the entire room from its reflection, and seemed out of place in the nearly empty room, contrasting the bare walls that surrounded her.

Whether it was the chilled atmosphere or the eerie unfamiliarity of everything that surrounded her, she was utterly on edge- eyes searching for an exist. When she didn't find one, her stomach grew tiny, metaphorical prickles like a cactus, causing her anxiety to spike as she tried to remain calm.

Possibly, the most startling part about waking up in such a frigid, unfathomed room for her was the limp, motionless body that was slumped against the wall across from the mirror, and the girl flinched lightly when she first saw him- initially thinking she was alone.

Is he dead?

Eyes shifting around nervously for others, she deduced that she was alone with the boy, and ran an uncertain hand through her black hair, pursing her lips together as she thought.

Fingers instinctively creeping up to her neck to tug on a nonexistent necklace, the girl's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as her fingers ran through air, and soon began to ponder what she was trying to grasp, but couldn't seem to remember.

Shaking her utter bemusement, a quiet, wary breath fell from her lips as she hoisted herself upwards, supporting her body weight with the colorless wall behind her- eyes wandering the lonely place aimlessly.

Lips clamping together in nervousness, she fiddled with her fingers as she took an uncertain step forward, and her brain suddenly did a backflip within her skull- sending her into a hurricane of lightheadedness.

She clutched her head as if to stabilize her spinning head, and she leaned against the wall she had just departed from, sighing harshly as her mind leisurely began to clear.

As her brain began to slow, the girl's eyes squeezed shut before she vigorously opened them yet again- trying to stable the rocking world around her, but ended up merely pushed away the remains of dizziness that danced though her skull.

Hand firmly placed on the wall as her vision swam slightly, she began to hobble forwards, but with every step she took, her brain swayed like she was on a fast carousel- winding around in circles.

She almost didn't realize that she had made her way to the unconscious boy, but when she noticed him sitting limply on the ground just in front of her, she slumped to the ground herself- dots in her vision as she watched him.

Noticing that he was breathing, the girl let out a sigh of relief, and through her shifty vision, the girl could tell he was quite attractive. His brunette hair drooped over his eyes, and his chin was pressed against his chest, yet he seemed to glow in the light of the room, making him look seraphic. His face was relaxed and calm, contrasting 4118's taut, slightly stressed expression as she gazed over him.

Staring a bit longer than she should've, she noticed that he was much more beautiful than she initially believed as her vision began to stable, but, bringing her attention back to the matter at hand, she nudged him lightly in the shoulder.

He remained slack and the girl's lips pursed together in concern before prodding him more vigorously- and he jumped harshly, flinching away from her with slightly wide eyes- scaring 4118 as well.

Eyes wild as he glanced around, the boy's gaze scoured the entire room, eventually landing on her with confusion in his irises.

"Who are you? Where are we?" The boy prompted, causing the girl's eyebrows to draw together.

"I wish I knew," She muttered, eyes downcast, "I was hoping you could tell me."

A languid sigh fell from his lips as his gaze continued to wander, always returning back to her.

"What's your name?" He asked, voice riddled with worry.

4118 opened her mouth to speak, yet no words fake to mind; she was drawing a blank. It was on the tip of her tongue, yet she couldn't recall ever having a name, and when that dawned on her, her heart began erratically as she began to panic- wondering if she had amnesia.

Running her hands through her hair, the girl's breath quickened as anxiety stabbed through her stomach like a vicious knife, twisting within her intestines as she rummaged around in her nonexistent memories- desperately trying to find something, anything, that even resembled a name.

Breath hitching in her throat, her eyes trailed up to the boy's kind ones, watching as his eyebrows began to knit together in worry, but she couldn't remember.

"I-I don't know," She admitted, her voice a higher pitch.

How we feeling about the book so far