𝟚𝟘.

"It's going to be okay, Mellie

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"It's going to be okay, Mellie. Everything is going to be fine." Jamie says from the driver's seat as he pulls into the valet section on the side of the building. "And, if things go to complete shit, at least we've got free front row seats to fight night!" He looks excited and I can't help but glare at him for his insensitivity.

"Yeah, seeing my biological father for the first time ever, after twenty-five years of my life, isn't awkward at all. It's going to be completely okay as long as you get to watch fight night. Yeah, sure, because that's such a wonderful thing to say right now, Jamie." His face looks shocked but I don't wait for a response as I exit the car, slamming the door as I do.

"Amelia!" He shouts out as I quickly make my way into the building. I'm not here for the fight. I really could care less about it. That was more Jamie's thing than mine, anyway. There's way too many people here for my liking. My social anxiety is just absolutely loving this situation right now, heavy on the sarcasm. "Amelia, Christ love, slow down." I don't. "For fuck's sake." He grabs ahold of my arm. "What is your problem?"

"My problem?" His face falls automatically, because he knows those were exactly not the words I wanted to hear right now. "My problem, James," I put extra emphasis on his name, "is that I hate large groups and I'm walking into a building with a ton of people. On top of that, my anxiety is already revved up ten-thousand percent because of why I'm here. But hey, I'm glad you get a free fight night out of it. I'm so happy that this is a non-awkward and fun situation for you. Truly, super happy."

"Did you really just call me James?" His face scrunches up in disgust. "You sound like my bloody mother. Since when do you ever call me that?"

"Out of all of that, everything that I just said, that's what you're going to take out of it? Are you fucking serious right now?" I shake my head and blow out a long breath. "And you've always wondered why I've only dated much older guys. This is why. This shit. This shit right here is why." His lips go into a flat line and his jaw ticks. I can tell that struck a nerve. "Jamie," I reach out for him but he walks past me, "Jamie, come on, I'm just stressed."

"Yeah, I got that." He walks through the door that's held open for us as I trail behind him. The age thing was always a sensitive topic for Jamie. He always held some disdain for me dating older men. Jamie asks a man where to get to where we need to go and then heads off in another direction without a glance back at me, assuming I'm following.

"Jamie, I'm nervous and upset. I'm a lot of things right now. I don't need you to be angry with me on top of it."

"I'm not angry, Amelia. It's fine." But he's not. He always does this when he's upset, just walks away. "I heard Rhoen is going to be here tonight so maybe you can go hang out with him for some comfort." Ouch. "Maybe once you're back in Boston too." What the hell?

"Really, Jamie?" He starts going up a set of stairs without a response. I follow him as quickly as I can but the heels I'm wearing make it next to impossible to keep up. "The last thing I need you to be right now is an insensitive asshat!" I shout at his back, making a few people look in our direction but I really don't care. I'm already uncomfortable around this many people. What's a little bit more discomfort thrown on top of it? He pauses, still with his back toward me until I reach him.