Chapter 3 - Sleep Is For The Weak

Unus's POV

I heard the bus let off exhaust as it rolled itself away in the distance. The sun was still pretty high in the sky, but the shadows of the buildings pooled around me, protecting me from the blazing California sun like a knight with a shield. I started to head down the cracked concrete road to my house. Chain link fences kept dogs in people's yards and enclosed a small playground on the other side of the street. I checked my watch. Mark would be getting to his house 2 blocks down in about 15 minutes and mom would be home in a few hours. The crowded little area we lived had all the houses built fairly close together, they seemed to be built stacked up all over each other. It was easier to park in the street and just walk to your house, A few blocks down where Mark lived, they really were all stacked up but with an expanse of woods behind them. The more north you went, the more spread out and nice they looked, and the more south, the more cramped. I saw the empty driveway and slightly overgrown lawn up ahead of me.

"Welcome home Ethan," I said to myself as I opened the door.

I dropped my shoes off at the entrance and headed to my room, taking a quick glance at the family calendar. Dad would be home next week for a whole 4 days before his job took him somewhere else.

I passed my brother's room quickly, as not to disturb him, he wasn't a fan of being disturbed.

My homework was soon laying on the desk, but my pencil was just spiraling around the page in doodles.

"Unus Annus" I whispered to myself as I drew another spiral.

So enticing.

I lay in bed a few hours later, staring up at my ceiling

I had the glow in the dark stars stuck to it on my birthday last year. Mark was a pretty big fan of them himself.

It was an interesting thought to be thinking when I heard a light rapping on the window, my heart leaped out of my chest and I jumped out of bed. My mind was racing with the possibilities. Street monster, murderer coming to get me, zombies after my brains, wild pack of wolves.

I was about to run, not sure where, when I checked the window to see a small silhouette.

My mind sped up and blurred at the sight of something real, but my eyes soon adjusted to see Mark's face.

After a little bit of struggle, both physically and mentally trying to figure out what was even happening, I opened the window.

"Mark what are you doing it's like 11:00" I glanced over at my alarm clock.

He grinned sheepishly

"Mind if I have a little sleepover here tonight."

I looked around, nervously I nodded my head,

"Sure"

He smiled,

"Thanks, Eef"

I pulled him in the window.

I peeked into the hallway, mom's light was off.

"Okay she's usually gone early on Wednesdays so we should be good. So what are you doing here??"

Mark nodded and sat at the foot of my bed.

He shrugged,

"I wanted to sleep here, and I really like your stars."

That was good enough for my eight-year-old mind.

I wasn't as tired anymore.

"Hey Mark, you know, I've been thinking, for Unus Annus, what about a spiral."