The Turning Point

Start from the beginning

She looks like a madwoman, this fine, refined lady, wife to one of the richest men in England. Mad.

As are the thoughts that drift though my mind then. Pity. A little remorse, perhaps, but not much. Anger, mostly. Wild, blind rage. She meant to kill me, that mad crazed woman. She meant to kill me with that ashtray. Luckily for me, she missed - not by much, true - but she missed. Being a 'refined lady' and all, she has not had much practice. But I am not a refined lady. I could kill her, if I wanted

I wouldn't, but I could.

I think about how easy it would be to pick up one of the broken shards. She won't even see it coming at her. It would be quick, and painless. But I could also make her suffer, if I wanted, like how she made me suffer.

We look at each other, out gazes intense. Like two predators sizing the other up, preparing for the kill.

The mistress, and her maid.

Just at that moment, the door opens, shocking us both.

Nicholas comes in, his golden hair tousled from the wind. He must have been in the garden.

"I..." He looks from Lady Chapworth to me, frowning slightly. "I thought I heard raised voices. Is everything alright, mother?"

Lady Chapworth scoffs. "Alright? No. Everything is not alright.

She bursts into tears.

Nicholas looks bewildered. "I'm sure that there has been a misunderstanding of some sort. Perhaps if we all sit down and have a civil chat about this we can work out a solution..."

I snort. Find a solution to this?

Nicholas is always so kind, so idealistic. He is always trying to see the best in everyone, to avoid conflict in every situation.

But that's what I love about him.

All my anger disappears, only to be replaced with resigned acceptance. I am wasting my time worrying about Lady Chapworth.

Suddenly, Nicholas notices the pile of broken glass on the floor. He looks from Lady Chapworth to me, eyes widening in shock and confusion. "What happened?

"It's alright," I say, not meeting his eyes, "I tripped and dropped the ashtray on the floor. I understand that it must be very valuable. I'm sorry.

I can tell that he doesn't quite believe me. "Are you alright?" He asks, "I do hope that you'll not hurt..."

He is interrupted by Lady Chapworth's anguished cry. "Worry about her, why won't you? Care about the stupid servant girl, while your poor mother suffers alone in silence. You were always too soft hearted for your own good."

He ignores the criticism. "I understand that accidents happen, from time to time. I'll get someone to clear it up right away.

Silently, I say an apology to Siobhan, knowing that she'll be the one who would have to clean this mess up.

"I would do it, my lord," I add, hiding a smile, "Except for the fact that I am no longer a part of this household."

Nicholas frowns in confusion. "I'm not quite sure I understand what's going on. What do you mean that you're no longer one of us?"

Lady Chapworth is just about to say, or rather, scream something, but I get in first.

"It's alright. I'm leaving now." I smile at Nicholas. "Your mother has dismissed me, and I do not intend to complicate matters by outstaying my welcome." My lips twitch in a smirk. "Thank you for everything, Master Chapworth. Thank you for what you've done for me." I mean it. Without him, my days here would have been unbearable. "Goodbye, Nicholas."