Genevieve's Bedroom

March 7th 1872

GENEVIEVE CHAPWORTH

Six days before the fire.

I twisted the ring on my finger and stared down at it, as I sat on my bed, alone in my room. It really was a beautiful ring, but that wasn't what mattered. I was getting married.

I didn't know how to feel. One half of my mind knew that I'd made the right decision by saying yes, but that didn't stop my stomach from twisting and coiling like I'd eaten something rotten. I did not fear my parents, I did not fear anyone, but I dreaded this conversation. And I knew that he did too.

It had all happened so quickly. Sometimes I would have to stop and think for a moment, and I would think to myself, do I really know him? I only met him a few days ago. But every time I thought that, the thought that immediately followed after was it doesn't matter.

Because I love him.

I was more surprised than he was when I said yes. But in my heart, I knew it was right. I never thought I could love someone like that. I didn't believe that I was the type to fall in love. But he showed me how wrong I was. Because I do.

I love him.

There was a knock on the door. Two slow ones, a pause, and then three quick knocks. Nicholas.

“Come in,” I called, and the door swung open. My brother's face appeared around the door frame, and he smiled gently at me.

“Mind if I come in?”

“Of course not,” I answered, motioning him inside.

He sighed as he came in. “Those twins sure are a handful. Did you hear about what happened? How they ran away?”

I shook my head. I hadn't heard.

“Well, they ran away and tried to join a circus, would you believe it.” His expression was a mixture of exasperation and worry. “Sometimes, I just don't understand them. They only came back because Joshua was sick, and even then I had to bring them back myself. I worry about them.”

“I had no idea,” I said.

He looked at me with curiosity. “Where have you been lately? I keep coming to find you, but you're never around these days. You're always missing.”

I held my hands behind my back so he wouldn't see them, and self-consciously twisted the ring that now adorned my finger. It wasn't that I didn't trust him, or that I thought he wouldn't approve, I just... I just felt like I had to keep it a secret a little longer. It was something private, exclusive and special to me, at least for now.

“So?” asked Nicholas, imploringly. “Where have you been?”

I brushed off the question. “Nowhere, really. Nowhere of interest, anyway. And what about you?” I asked, changing the subject. “How's work been treating you?”

He let my subject change slide, and sighed. “More of the same, I guess. Daily reminders of my inferiority and weakness.”

I smiled a little in what I hoped was a comforting way. I was never much good at comforting people. Mostly because I have a dislike of people in general.

He sighed again, and then shook his head. “Ah well, no use wallowing in self-pity. Would you like to come for a walk with me?” He stood up, extending his hand to me.

I nodded. “I would love to. And Nicholas...” I said, quietly. “Nicholas, I'm sorry. About the other day. When I said I didn't need you, I didn't mean it. I do.”