The London Times

March 14th 1872

MANOR ENGULFED IN FLAMES

It was reported yesterday that at approximately 2pm in the afternoon, Chapworth Manor, owned by businessman and entrepreneur Charles Chapworth, burnt down in a spectacular inferno. Chapworth, owner of well-known successful confectionery company Chapworth & Co., was not harmed in the blaze, and his wife, son, daughter, and extended family also escaped the inferno unharmed. The only victim of the tragedy was a young boy who was reportedly one of the many servants that the manor employed.

This incident comes after rumours that Chapworth's daughter, Genevieve Annabella Chapworth, announced her engagement the day before. There was word on the street that Chapworth disapproved of the marriage (rumoured to be because of the man's lack of wealth and social standing) and was threatening to disown his daughter. The engagement seems to have been henceforth called off, but the scandal of this incident has seemingly been overshadowed by the events of yesterday.

The blaze was first reported by one of the family's gardeners. He stated that he first called for help when he saw smoke coming from the west wing of the manor. The blaze was started in one of the drawing rooms on the lower floor of the mansion. It then spread to the parlour and upper floors of the west wing, and then the rest of the building. After the fire had died out, it was made clear that there is nothing but ash and rubble left in the spot where the magnificent manor once stood in all its glory. Given the amount of people who were currently taking residence within the manor, it is remarkable that there was only one casualty. However, that does not make the tragic loss of life any less regrettable. The boy apparently had no relations or next-of-kin to inform.

It is not yet known how the blaze was started, and an investigation into the origins of the fire is currently taking place. The head of the investigation, Detective Constable Mortimer, has so far issued no statement to the press, however he did confirm that the police suspect the fire was artificially lit. He is urging anyone with information on the incident to come forward, and he also confirmed that the police are doing everything within their power to find the culprit and bring them to justice, and that their condolences go to the Chapworth family during this difficult time.