The Tallest Oak Tree

March 2nd 1872

CLARA DEVEREAUX

Eleven days before the fire.

Clara and her twin brother Joshua sat nestled within the branches of the tallest tree in the Chapworth property, hiding from the world 

Up here, no one could see them. Up here, the two of them were completely and utterly hidden from sight, as if they were nothing more than shadows in the shade. 

No one could see them, but she could see everything from their vantage point. The whole Chapworth Manor estate spread out in all directions around her, seeming endless in its vast glory.

All that land, gone to waste. There was an army of gardeners who maintained the land day after day, trimming the perfectly manicured lawn, tending to the rosebushes, creating works of art out of the hedge. It was an endless task, and a thankless one, too. Sooner or later weeds would grow back into the flowerbeds, and the work would begin again. 

Clara never understood why the garden was kept this tidy, seeing as Lord Chapworth and his family never seemed to appreciate its beauty. No. The garden, just like the magnificent manor, served no purpose except to show off the Chapworth fortune to the world. Lord Chapworth was sending a message to all of London, and beyond. He owned the greatest estate known to man, he was the best, the richest, the mightiest, and no one could ever question his authority. 

Often, Clara longed to put him in his place, to tell him that he didn’t control her or her family, and that he never will. But what could she do? She was nothing but a little girl. No, even less than that. A disgraced little girl, walking on a tightrope. One wrong move, one false step, and she would plummet into poverty. They were treated with contempt by the whole household already, and, as their mother reminded them every night, do something to displease Lord Chapworth, and he wouldn’t hesitate to throw them out onto the streets. 

Charles Chapworth had no love for his sister, Clara had realised long ago. The only reason why they were still here was as an example of his charity and generosity. It was good for his reputation.

“Look here,” He’d often say to Clara and Joshua, “Your mother committed an unthinkable deed, all those years ago. She muddied the good name of Chapworth, and brought humiliation and ridicule upon us all. But do I hold grudges? No. Instead of giving your mother what she deserved and turning her away when she came crawling back to the family fortune, I’m giving you all a good home, treating you as if you were my own children. Aren’t you grateful at all?"

Grateful? It was so hard to feel grateful, when she and her brother were treated as less than servants. Looked down upon by all members of the family – well, all except Chapworth’s eldest son, that is. 

When they had first arrived at Chapworth manor, Clara had expected Nicholas to be just as bad as the rest of his family. She had almost expected him to look down upon her and laugh at her misfortune. But Nicholas had surprised her. Not only was he genuinely kind to her whole family, he treated them all with love and respect. Nicholas had cared about Clara and Joshua, had played with them, read to them and made them laugh. Sometimes Clara wondered how such a horrible man like Chapworth could have such a wonderful, compassionate son like Nicholas. In her mind - the over imaginative mind of a ten-year-old - Clara often pretended that Nicholas was really an angel, sent to watch over her and Joshua.

But no one was perfect. Even Nicholas had faults. He was terribly afraid of his father, and obeyed his every bidding. Nicholas was scared of standing up to his father, and of doing anything that might displease him.