Chapter 20

They were in each other's arms.

As Raven clutched unto him and cried tears, she tried to calculate what was happening and make sense of it, but the voice at the back of her head tells her not to and give in to what she feels.

Nixon whispered his apologies as if it were sweet nothings, he held her tight but it was somewhat gentle. She was losing complete hold from her other side of conscience until someone cleared throat. 

"Lady, we have to go."

Raven looked at Nixon before at Mark, nodding. 

"I'll be there in a moment." She sniffled a bit and wiped her cheeks with a handkerchief from her pocket, a blush came from her ears to her cheeks. 

"Do you mean it?" Nixon asked then grabbed the piece of soft cloth from her hands, wiping the tears for her. He tucked the loose strands of her hair behind her ears. "You wanted to be with me?"

Raven tried to find a way out of the situation, unscathed, eyes darting all over the garden.

Out of defense, Aurelia took over without permission and Raven knew this wouldn't end well with a wolf holding grudges against him. 

"The betrothal wasn't my decision, Raven. I wasn't able to call off the marriage because I know you're going to get hurt and someone else will claim the throne. The fates of many people was on my hands." Nixon spoke as she was unable to push Aurelia back. 

"Listen, mate." The wolf sneered at him, earning control to her voice and eyes glowing golden. "We are not some dainty flower you can pluck off the streets. Raven is a woman of honor and I will not let you waltz right in, not after what we have gone through."

"You must be her wolf." Nixon said, analyzing her carefully. It wasn't a normal occurrence  for a wolf until threatened or enraged. 

Aurelia nodded, her arms crossed, a daring look on her face.

"Let me remind you. In times that you're in dire need of our help, we had saved you from the jaws of death not only once and this is how you repay us?" She said, disappointment in her tone. 

"We may be fated by my Goddess but if I saw you unfit to be by our side, I will not hesitate to hold back." She held up one finger and continued. "One chance, that's all I can give you."

Nixon knelt. 

"I dare not disappoint and shall treat you not as my Queen." He said. "But my Empress."

"Ravindra Lockwell." Aurelia said. "Remember it."

"I shall." There was promise in his voice. Her eyes turned back to icy blue and she took a deep breath in. 

"You may rise." Then the wolf went back to the dark place in her mind.

Raven turned her back towards him and spoke. "You know, if you don't want this to work, be my guest."

"Phoenix Axalon." He said quickly and she stopped momentarily, nodding once. 

"I'll see you tomorrow, Gavin had already taken care of bringing your clothes. He should be back soon." She said, holding the door. 

"Take care of yourself there. Your well-being comes first." 

Raven nodded then bid Matilda and her daughter goodbye. As she walked back, her inner self was screaming. 

"What was that?" She muttered to herself, the bizarre event left her dumbfounded and flabbergasted. Her heart was beating rapidly.

Gabriel looked at her expression and covered his mouth as he let out a laugh. "You look ridiculous. I never thought I get to see the day that you would wear that goofy smile on your face."