Music Contest

For next two days, Simon and I worked furiously to finish his song in time for the contest. By the time the day came, we convinced ourselves that the song was good and was ready for the contest, though that didn't stop Simon from pacing back and forth backstage in a nervous panic.

"Simon, calm down." Clary told her best friend.

"But what if it's not good enough?" Simon asked, running his hands through his hair. "What if the judges hates it? What if the audience boos at me? What if-"

I slapped Simon across the face as he was talking. Clary stifled a half laugh/half gasp while Simon stopped in his tracks and held his hand to his face, gasping in pain.

"OW! What the hell, Alec?!" Simon snapped in anger. "Why did you do that?"

"To snap out of your panic." I said casually, though if I'm being honest, I was a little amused. "Simon, you're great. Remember that. And if anyone else thinks differently then they're idiots."

Simon rubbed his face as he tries to get redness out. "Couldn't you have told me that without slapping me?"

"Would you have listened to me if I did?" I asked

Simon looked down in shame. "No." He admitted.

I smirked cockily. "Thought so."

"Next up is Simon Lewis." A voice called out from the front of the stage.

I grabbed Simon by the shoulders and turned him around. "Simon, you got this. Just believe in yourself." I said in his ear then I gently him pushed towards the stage. "Now go rock those judges out of their seats."

Simon turned to look at us and Clary and I gave him encouraging smiles. Then he straightened up in confidence and walked out to the stage.

                                                                 ***

"I still can't believe I let you guys convince me to wear this . . ." I looked down at my gray hoodie and blue jeans in disgust. "This shamefully, horrid, plain outfit."

"Well, you're the one who didn't want to be recognized because of the whole Camille situation so . . ." Raphael trailed off as he shrugged.

I glared at him in annoyance. "Not helping, Raph." I said as I shifted in my judges' chair and turned my attention to the stage, pulling the hood down a little.

Raphael snickered in amused.

I felt a small hand land on my shoulder and knew it was Caterina. "Just ignore him." She said quietly in my ear.

"He isn't wrong." I reluctantly admitted.

Caterina just smiled a sweet smile at me. "Pay attention to the contest." She instructed kindly so I did as she told me to and not a moment too soon because the announcer came back on stage again.

"Next up is Simon Lewis." He said then he went backstage just as a nerdy looking teenager came to the front.

The boy named Simon quickly got his equipment ready and adjusted his mic before speaking into it.

"Hi, my name is Simon," He said nervously. " And I'm performing an original song called Fragile World, hope you like it." Then immediately he started playing on his keyboard and a few moments later, he started singing.

Got a drop in my throat,

Chill in my bones,

When no one's around,

See a light and a flare, nobody's there,

They don't hear a sound.