Why?

Just as I let go, someone grabbed me by the waist and I'm whirled around, meeting lips that I haven't felt in years. I'm too stunned to do anything but place my hands on his arms and kiss him back.

He broke away and leaned his forehead against mine, clinging onto me for dear life.

"Please come down." Magnus begged softly as he looked into my eyes, tears running down his face.

I vaguely nodded and I climbed over the railing. The moment I was on his side of it, Magnus immediately pulled me away from the edge, probably afraid that I'll change my mind and still jump. At some point, Magnus moved his hands to cup my face, looking at me with a whirlwind of emotions while I still stared at him in stunned disbelief.

"Mag-"

"Look, I know you have a lot of questions and I'll try my best to answer all of them but," Magnus paused as he looked at our surroundings. I was still so confused about everything that just happened that I didn't notice the crowd of people recording us or hear the news copter and police sirens coming closer. "not here, not right now. Whatever you do, keep your head down and make sure no one sees your face. Come on." Then he started pulling me along behind him.

I did as Magnus instructed and kept my head down, making sure my hair covered my face and hoped the makeup made it harder for anyone to recognize me. Magnus kept his arm over my shoulders and held my hand as we ran through the crowd, loud whispers going back and forth and cameras flashing in our faces. Eventually we made it out of the crowd and Magnus dragged us over to a taxi, immediately putting me inside before sliding in himself.

"Take us to Greenpoint in Brooklyn and do me a favor and step on it." Magnus ordered the cabbie in a voice that shows he wasn't in a mood to mess around.

The driver nodded and started the engine, turning the wheel as he began to take us to our destination. Meanwhile Magnus kept holding onto my hand, everything about him trembling as he tried to relax. Without thinking, I used my free hand to turn his head towards me and lifted up his mask a little, gently brushing his tears away as I stared dazedly into his eyes.

Magnus looked a little taken back by the action but instead of shrugging it off like he usually did, he wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tight, mumbling something in a different language as he held onto me. Almost like he was afraid that I'll disappear if he let go.

***
We were both quiet during the entire drive to the apartment building, not saying a word but just held each other's hands.

It worried me that Alec was so quiet. I knew he was probably in shock or was still processing everything that happened on the bridge or both but it still worried me.

After we got to the apartment, Alec and I headed to my room and we just stood there. I didn't want to but I let go of his hand and took off my mask, running my hands through my hair as I released a shaky breath. What happened on the bridge scared the hell out of me and I'm still trying to get rid of the fear spiking adrenaline rushing through my veins. I just wish my hands would stop shaking.

"Why?"

I turned around to face him and locked onto him as he locked onto me.

"Why did you kiss me?" Alec asked as he stared straight at me with confusion, anger, and a small flicker of hope.

"I had to stop you from jumping somehow." I hesitated, hugging myself.

Alec shook his head, tears still evident on his face. "No, you could have done a million other things to stop me but instead you kissed me, why?" He asked. When I didn't answer, Alec just got frustrated. "Why Magnus?!"