Chapter 164 - Loss and Love

OVER 100K READS?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Al didn't know how long she cried for George, only that the battle continued on without her. "Al," Remus's voice said softly, "It's going to be alright. We'll get through this. I promise." Al sniffed and nodded, pulling away from where he held her to his chest. "I have to go," he said quickly with a weak smile, but his frown lines decorated his forehead. "Stay here as long as you need to." Al nodded again and he ducked out from their hiding place.

Moments later, Al heard his shout of surprise and the sound of spells flying and hitting walls. There were two more shouts from Remus, followed by a thud and a deep, cackling laugh. Cautiously, she peered round the corner, not sure if she even had the strength to stand. Remus was lying on the floor, panting heavily with blood pouring from his chest. Dolohov was stood over him, and kicked him roughly.

"The tame werewolf," he taunted, "Crucio!" Remus shrieked in pain for a few moments before Dolohov ended the curse. "Avada-" he began.

Al stepped around the corner, wand pointed directly at Dolohov. "Avada-" she began. But then something rang out in her mind.

She was at the top of the astronomy tower. A summer breeze whipped around her hair and neck, warm and soothing. An unopened bottle of firewhiskey sat next to her.

"You have so much love in your life, Al," said Dumbledore. "For Miss Greengrass and Mr Nott, for Harry, for Remus and Sirius, your parents, and as I understand it - George Weasley?"

"How did you-?" Al began, and smiled when she saw Dumbledore's amused expression.

"A mere guess," Dumbledore told her, "I'm surprised I was correct." And Al laughed. She actually laughed. And Dumbledore joined in.

I leave my moleskin notebook, hoping it will preserve my memory and remind you to trust, and to love.

This is what Dumbledore had meant. She had to fight out of her love for Remus, and not her hate for Dolohov. "-Kedavra!"

Al conjured the white flames, wrapping them around Dolohov's neck, before sending him flying through an smashed-open window. She rushed over to Remus, dropping to her knees beside him and raising her wand to perform healing spells. She couldn't lose him like she'd lost everyone else. Sirius, Harry, George, and Remus. They were her family - her true family. The people she loved more than anyone else in the world.

But the blood no longer poured from his wound. He was completely still, and his chest didn't rise with breaths. His eyes were glassy and empty. And Al had heard Dolohov finish the killing curse. Seen the flash of green light. Remus Lupin was dead.

Somebody ran round the corner and Al looked into the grey eyes of Draco Malfoy, wavering through her tears. "Expelliarmus!" she wailed, and caught his familiar hawthorn wand. She looked him in the eyes, and snapped it in half, throwing it to the ground. He looked horrified, but stayed and took a deep breath.

"I'll never forget you," he told her and Al gasped, a fresh wave of tears overcoming her. How had he remembered that, from so long ago? Over a year now... "And what I did wasn't easy. Nothing was ever easy. But I didn't have a choice."

Al still had tears pouring freely down her face. "I gave you a choice. I tried-"

"We were kids, Al! Our actions were predetermined from the moment we started here. Remember that." And then he ran back the way he'd come, and Al looked down at Remus's empty body.

She rose from where she was knelt next to him and sprinted after Draco and back into the Entrance hall, tears flying along her face. She got there at the same time as Ron and Hermione, who instantly ran to her side. "Where's Voldemort?" Hermione demanded. "Where's the snake?"