Chapter 93 - OWL Results

Thanks for reading :)

 Al heard a terrified squeal that sounded like Hermione and hurriedly pulled on her jeans, tucked her t-shirt in, and clambered downstairs. On the kitchen table were four tawny owls, only one of which had a letter still attached and clicked at her impatiently. Hermione was bent low over her results and Harry and Ron were congratulating each other. "How d'you do?" Al asked, trying to sound calm while she opened her envelope.

 "An O in defence," Harry said proudly and Al pulled the letter out.

 "That's great, Harry!" she said with a grin, "Well done!" She wiped her hands on her trousers and peered at the letter.

 Ordinary Wizarding Level results

 Alexandra Rosalind Dursley has received the following grades:

 Ancient Runes: Exceeds Expectations

 Arithmancy: Outstanding

 Astronomy: Acceptable

 Charms: Outstanding

 Defence Against the Dark Arts: Outstanding

 Herbology: Exceeds Expectations

 History of Magic: Exceeds Expectations

 Potions: Outstanding

 Transfiguration: Outstanding

 "How did you do?" Harry asked her and she passed him the parchment. She'd got and O in Transfiguration! And by some miracle, Potions too! She was ecstatic. And if Potions was taught by Slughorn instead this year, she might actually enjoy it.

*****

 Al mostly spent her time at the Burrow helping out around the house, re-reading a book or two, and sometimes playing quidditch. She mainly played keeper opposite Ron while Harry and Ginny played at chaser. And she didn't even think she was too bad.

 Soon it was Harry's birthday, and that meant Al could see Remus. Harry had just opened her present of new robes when Remus burst through the fireplace. Al had never seen him like this - he looked unusually thin and had grey streaks through his hair. The dark rings under his eyes only added to the effect that something was wrong.

 Al gave him a hug and said hello, which Remus returned with a small smile. "Karkaroff's dead," he announced, while Al sat back down, "They found him in a shack with the Dark Mark above it. And there's been more dementor attacks."

 "Bollocks," Al whispered, and a few heads turned her way as her hand flew to her mouth.

 "Surely you are not upset about Karkaroff?" Fleur asked her with a faint smile. Neither of them had been particularly fond of him.

 "No, he was the biggest git I've ever known," Al said, "It's just occurred to me I've never done a patronus," she turned to Harry, "I missed the DA meeting, remember?"

 "It's fine," Harry said dismissively, "We'll probably cover it at NEWT level."

 "Did you hear about Fortescue?" Bill asked Remus, who was now eating cake, "And Olivander?"

 Remus nodded gravely, "Both gone."

 "What does Voldemort want with an ice-cream vendor?" Al asked with a frown.

 "Probably nothing," Remus said, looking at Al, "It might just be to get to one of his family members." Then he twitched his eyebrows ever so slightly. "Do you mind if I use your loo, Molly?"

 "Yes, of course," Mrs Weasley said, "You know where it is don't you?" Remus nodded and left the room, but Al didn't hear him going upstairs.

 "Does anyone want another drink?" Al asked, standing up from her seat next to Ginny. There was a chorus of 'me please' and Al went to fetch four butterbeers from the kitchen. When she walked in, however, Remus was waiting for her. She sighed and perched on the table next to him. "You look like dragon dung," she said, and he snorted, "How are you holding up?"

 Remus sighed, "As well as can be expected. Doing a lot of underground work for the Order, you know."

 For a moment, Al thought she was going to tell Remus about the prophecy that had haunted her, but she changed her mind. He didn't need that stress too. "It would kill Harry if anything happened to you," Al told him, "Don't do anything stupid on this 'underground work'."

 "I was under the impression that it was me who wanted to talk to you," Remus said, looking amused. "Sirius found a horcrux."

 Al gasped, "the Gaunt one?"

 Remus nodded, "That's the one. Problem was, he couldn't retrieve it, and he didn't tell me where he went."

 "Bloody hell," Al said, rolling her eyes, "Did he make notes?"

 "A few," Remus said, "Dumbledore talked me through them. He was inspecting them because Sirius left them to you in his will."

 "What?" Al exclaimed, furious and a voice called through asking if everything was alright. "Yeah, it's fine," she called, then turning back to Remus. "He had no right-"

 "I told him you'd be angry," he said, holding a hand up, "But I think they're more use to him than us. He taught Voldemort at school."

 "I don't care," Al said haughtily, "They're mine."

 "I know, I know," Remus said calmly. "He asked me to bring them." He flicked his wand and four stacks of parchment, along with a stack of notebooks appeared on the kitchen table, all of them except the top few sheets, in Regulus's writing. Al thought the parchment alone would reach higher than her.

 She picked up the first pile. "Can you give me a hand?" she asked, and Remus smiled, flicking his wand and levitating the rest of it. "I can't wait to be able to do that," she commented, dumping her pile on Percy's bedroom floor and breathing heavily. It had been significantly heavier than expected. He flicked his wand again and the piles arranged themselves to be much neater, the bed flattened out and the curtains fully opened. "How are you so good at that?" she laughed.

 Remus shrugged with a smile, "Practice." There was a short pause. "Right well, I best be off," he said, heading to the door.

 "Make sure you say bye to Harry," Al said, "And thank you," she gestured to the piles of parchment.

 "Bye," he said, somewhat cheerily, swinging the door open. Ron was stood there, wearing an expression that looked remarkably like Mrs Weasley's. He raised his eyebrows at them but didn't say anything as Remus walked past him. "Goodbye, Ron."

 Al too walked out after Remus, shutting her door behind her, and stepping past Ron. "Alright?" she asked hesitantly.

 "Yeah," Ron said bitterly, "Fine." Everything didn't seem fine. "Mum just sent me to check on you both, but you seem to be getting on alright."

 Al didn't even have time to think about what he meant by that, before she was back in the living room, three bottles of butterbeer in hand.