Chapter 40 - The Five Champions

Thanks for voting!! :)

 Only the fire could be heard crackling until the door opened again and in walked Madame Maxine, Karkaroff, Dumbledore, Crouch, McGonagall and Snape. "Madame Maxine," Fleur said immediately, "Zey are saying zere are five champions! But it cannot be true - zey are too young!"

 "Dumbly-dore!" Madame Maxine, said outraged, "'Ogwarts cannot 'ave three champions!"

 "We would have brought along more students if we were aware we could enter younger students!" Karkaroff protested.

 "I quite agree," Al said, drawing their attention for the first time, "We should withdraw immediately."

 "You don't want to compete?" Bagman asked, confused.

 "Why would I want to compete in a death-tournament?" Al retorted.

 "A thousand galleons prize money!" Fleur told her, "Ze honour for your school!"

 "Fat load of use that money'll be when I'm dead," Al said.

 "It is no fault of the headmaster's," Snape spoke up, "Potter has been crossing lines since the day he arrived." Al noted that most people were looking at Harry and ignoring her. She felt very grateful.

 Dumbledore seemed far too calm for the situation, "Harry, did you put your name in the Goblet of fire?"

 "No, sir," Harry said confidently.

 "Al?" Dumbledore asked, and everyone turned to face her.

 She scoffed. When that got no response, "No!" she said, offended.

 "Did you ask one of the older students to do it for you?" Dumbledore asked.

 "No, sir," Harry repeated.

 "No!" Al said, resisting an eye roll.

 "But, of course, zey are lying!" Madame Maxine said.

 "I am not!" Al protested indignantly.

 "Temper, Dursley," Snape warned, his eyes flashing.

 "Surely you will agree, Mr Crouch," Karkaroff said, "That this is most unusual?"

 "You are right," Crouch said, looking bothered and inconvenienced, "But four pieces of parchment came out, and so there are four binding magical contracts."

 "By that logic," Al spoke up, "Harry and I should be able to compete together."

 "Absolutely not!" Karkaroff said.

 "Impossible!" Madame Maxine said.

 But the other champions seemed to be interested in what she had to say, "They've all had six years of magical education. Harry and I have had three. If there are only four contracts, there should be four teams."

 Fleur considered for a moment, "Zis is fair," she said. Clearly she'd decided she could take both of them on. Krum only nodded, and Cedric smiled faintly.

 "No!" Karkaroff protested, "I wasn't aware we were allowed teams, Dumbledore! I want to re-enter all my students!"

 "The goblet won't reignite until the next tournament-" Bagman said.

 "Which Durmstrang won't be entering!" Karkaroff said, "I've half a mind to leave now!"

 "Empty threat," Moody said, entering the room. "Binding magical contract. They've all got to compete. Convenient, eh?"

 "Convenient?" Karkaroff asked, balling his hands into fists, "I don't understand you, Moody."

 "Someone put Potter's and Dursley's names into the Goblet, knowing they'd have to compete if they came out," Moody explained.

 "Someone 'oo wanted to give 'Ogwarts three bites at ze apple!" Maxine said.

 "I've got a mind to complain-" Karkaroff began.

 "I don't hear Potter or Dursley complaining," Moody began, "They're the only ones with any right."

 "Oh, I'm complaining," Al said, sliding off her table and approaching the hoard of adults, "What's this contract thingy, anyway? What happens if I break it?"

 Everyone turned to Crouch who said simply, "Death."

 Al saw Harry pale slightly, "Oh," then said, "So we've got three choices here. Either, I don't compete and I die, I compete by myself and die, or I compete with Harry and maybe don't die. But that's up to you, isn't it?" The adults all paled too, then looked at Crouch again.

 "Four pieces of parchment, four teams," he stated, clearly wanting the meeting to end.

 There was silence for a while, then Fleur said, "Why should zey complain? Eet eez a chance many would die for!"

 "Maybe someone's hoping they are going to die for it," Moody growled.

 "Who could possibly-" Bagman began, but Al interrupted.

 "Voldemort." The room inhaled and held their breath.

 "The Dark Lord is gone!" Karkaroff said angrily.

 "But some of his followers remain," she said again.

 "We rounded them up!" Crouch said, also angrily. Al could see McGonagall growing increasingly exasperated with her.

 "How many with Dark Marks did you release though? Those that traded Voldemort's secrets for their own freedom?" The room remained silent, "I've read the history books," she told them, "And maybe there's an old Death Eater out there - perhaps someone from the world cup - who wants Voldemort back. Or wants a bit of power for themselves.

 "But if there was to be a new dark wizard, the Boy Who Lived is going to be a beacon of hope for many. Best to knock him down in advance." Everyone looked at her like she was crazy. "That's what I'd do anyway," she shrugged.

 "Aha!" Madame Maxine said, "So you did enter!"

 "Do I look like a dark wizard to you?" she asked, twirling her plait.

 "You sound like the only one speaking sense to me," Moody said to her, his eye twirling around.

 "We all know Moody considers the morning wasted if he hasn't uncovered six plots to kill him," Karkaroff growled, "apparently he is teaching the same to his students," he said with a nasty glare at Al.

 "It was a skilled witch or wizard that put their names in the Goblet!" Moody said.

 "And 'ow would you know zat?" Maxine asked in protest.

 "Because they have hood-winked a very powerful, magical object!" Moody said, raising his voice.

 "Alastor," Dumbledore warned, "the matter is settled. Mr Potter and Miss Dursley will compete together." Maxine and Karkaroff looked like they would protest, but didn't so he continued, "Mr Crouch, the instructions if you please."

 Crouch stepped forward again, "The first task will designed to test your daring, so you will not be told what it is. It will take place on November twenty fourth. The champions are not permitted to ask for or accept help from their teachers. They will face the first task with only their wands. Champions are exempted from end of year tests."

 Dumbledore began talking with Crouch and then the champions were dismissed. Harry looked about as sick as Al felt. "I'm sorry Harry," she said as they left.

 "Whatever," he muttered and rushed off to join Cedric.

 Al left the now-empty Great Hall and headed towards the steps, where she saw Cedric was waiting for her. "So, you really didn't enter?" he asked her.

 "No," Al replied. She wasn't in the mood to talk.

 "Any idea who did?" he asked as they turned down a corridor.

 "Moody," she answered truthfully, "He had it too well thought out."

 Cedric chuckled, "You're as crackers as he is."