Chapter 147 - Rocket

Happy reading! :)

Al hurried down Diagon Alley, the wind whipping her cloak around her and her wand gripped in her hand. She knocked on the door and George's voice called. "Al?"

"Yeah!" she half shouted, ignoring the two passers-by that gave her funny looks.

"When did I first tell you I loved you?" he shouted back over the wind.

"Grimmauld Place, August of ninety-five!" she shouted back. The door flew open, pushed further by the wind and Al tumbled in while George slammed the door shut behind her. It had only been a few weeks since she'd last seen him, but Al couldn't take her eyes off him. This was the man she was fortunate enough to be marrying - this strong, handsome man, with gorgeous chocolate eyes.

"When you two have stopped gazing into each other's eyes," came Fred's voice from the stairs, "We need to get on air." Al and George shook their heads and laughed, giving each other a quick kiss while he hung her cloak up.

"Are we doing it here then?" Al asked, turning to face Fred.

"Yeah, everyone's already in the lounge." Al followed him upstairs and was greeted by a small crowd of people, all sat on the sofa's around what looked like a large funnel. Mr Weasley, Kingsley, and Lee Jordan were all there. "George does all the magic to keep it broadcasting," Fred explained.

"You need a name," Lee said, making Al grin. She was getting a Potterwatch name! "What about, Romancer?" he wiggled his eyebrows and George scuffed him around the head. "Alright, alright. I've got a list here, you can pick one." He handed Al a bit of parchment and she skim-read it. Raspberry, Romeo, Rhubarb - Rocket. She liked the sound of that.

"I'm so being Rocket," Al said. Mr Weasley gave her a puzzled look. "It's a muggle thing," she explained, and his face lit up. But before he could question her further, Lee clapped his hands together.

"Cool. I'm River, Fred's Rapier, Kingsley's Royal, and Arthur's Rooster," he explained, before offering Al a seat in the only armchair. "Unless you'd rather sit with George?"

It was Al's turn to scuff him round the head. "Alright!" he said with a grin to match Fred's. "So, I'll ask you a few questions about Hogwarts, a lot of parents just want to know what's going on." Al nodded in understanding. "Everyone ready?"

There was a chorus of, "Yeah."

"And we're live in three, two, one," George said, tapping his wand on the funnel that seemed to glow before them.

"Hello, and welcome to Potterwatch!" Lee began, sounding like he was commentating quidditch, "Today I'm joined by Royal and Rapier, and two new guests - Rooster and Romancer!"

"Oi," Al said, "You sexist git, I've told you I'm not being Romancer!"

"Oh just take it!" Fred said.

"Alright, Rodent," she teased, making Fred turn pink and George, Mr Weasley, and Kingsley laugh.

"Fine, fine," Lee said, "You can be Rocket."

"Thanks, River," Al said, grinning at the smug look on George's face.

"As I was saying, we've got some new guests on tonight, but first...Ministry Cover Ups!" Al joined in with the whooping and clapping that filled the room, enjoying herself very much. "The Head of Goblin Liaison, Dirk Cresswell has been reported on the run, after faking his family tree. Aurors arrived at his home in Leeds this morning, but he'd already been tipped off and legged it. If that was you, we applaud you here at Potterwatch for helping out a friend in need, and encourage others to do the same.

"And now, the long-awaited Hogwarts Updates with our very own Rocket!" The others clapped and Al joined in too.

"Hiya, River," she said, with a huge grin on her face. Being on Potterwatch was more fun than listening to it!

"So, you're a student attending Hogwarts at the minute," Lee said, "What's Hogwarts been like for you since Snape became headmaster?"

"I won't lie to you, River," Al began, "It's not pretty. Gone are the days where detentions was cleaning a classroom; the Carrows have made our lives as much of a living hell as possible. I'm referring to the use of the Cruciatus Curse - and that's just for missing homework. It gets worse for those of us who have had been rebelling against the new regime."

"Yikes," Lee said, "And what about Snape?"

"Nope," Al said, "The git just stays in his office all day. Lazy bugger." There was a chorus of laughter. "But there is hope. We've been working on a robustness potion to counter the effects on the Cruciatus, available to any students who ask for it. And, I'm sure you all know who to ask, unless you've been living under a rock for the last two years."

"What do you have to say about the rumours that Defence Against the Dark Arts is no longer on the curriculum?" Lee asked her.

"They're true," Al admitted, "Amycus Carrow now teaches Dark Arts. The most recent problem this has caused is the forced use of the Cruciatus between students, which many people are blatantly refusing, resulting in punishment. But don't worry for those of you who don't want to do it, there is hope on the horizon and we've got some of our best arithmancers on the case."

"Thanks for that, Rocket. We'll have you back on air as soon as you can bring us that solution. Do you have anything you'd like to say to concerned parents who are listening tonight?"

"Well, you do have every reason to worry," Al said, "But I hope I can offer some assurance that your kids are being looked out for. We're giving them the best care possible and are working around the clock to ensure that the minimum number of students are targeted by Death Eaters."

"Thank you very much Rocket, and thanks to all those students that have displayed bravery in protecting others, and making Severus Snape's life hell!" Lee finished and there was a round of applause and cheering. "Now, I'm sure many of you will be quite confused about some of these new laws the Ministry, the most recent one being the Muggle-born registration law. Here to help explain that, we've got Rooster!"

Mr Weasley went on to explain the law, which meant muggle-borns didn't have to hand themselves in, but could still be arrested if they didn't. It was the Ministry's way of persecuting without actually breaking any bylaws. Then, Fred gave a surprisingly hilarious account of a Chief Death Eater sighting in London, with the slogan: Don't despair, Disapparate, for if you saw him. Finally it finished with Kingsley announcing that the Cruciatus Curse could kill muggles, and it was important to protect as many of those as possible.

"I'm afraid that's all we've got time for today, folks," Lee said, "Once again a huge thank you to Royal, Rocket, Rapier, and Rooster for coming on the show today, and to all of you out there who are doing your bit to support Harry Potter! If you're listening Harry, we're behind you. Our password for next time is McGonagall - everyone's favourite Transfiguration teacher. But for now, I've been your host, River, goodnight!"

The funnel stopped glowing and everyone left broadcast mode. "You were great!" George told her with a big grin on his face and pulling her into a hug. "And you, Dad," he added over Al's shoulder, making Lee snort.

"It's fine," Mr Weasley said with a smile, "Keep digging."

George mockingly rolled his eyes and turned back to Al, while the others went to their own conversations. "Are you staying tonight?"

"I'm sorry, George, I can't," she said, "I've got people waiting up for me."

George looked disheartened, but smiled anyway, still holding her close. He was warm and comfortable, and Al wished she could stay there in his arms forever. "That's cool," he said, "when can I expect you again?"

"I could come over on Saturday night?" Al suggested, "And we could have dinner, and...well, I'm sure we'll think of a way to pass the time..."

"I'm sure we will," George said with a smirk.

"Still here!" Mr Weasley, Fred, and Lee all said at once.

"Not listening," Kingsley added, fastening his cloak. They all laughed a bit, before Al bid goodbye to everyone and disapparated back to the Hog's Head.