Chapter 3 - Diagon Alley

Hello there! I was so surprised today that a couple of people started reading this fic, so thanks so much. If you have any questions feel free to ask me and while your waiting for new chapters feel free to go and check out my other ongoing works: 'Blood of the Moon'. Anywho...enjoy the next chapter...

It hadn't been much of a scramble for McGonagall, Harry, and the three Dursleys to leave the house. Al's Pa seemed particularly keen to keep losing his keys and other very important items, but otherwise everything was smooth. The group piled into Mr. Dursley's expensive new car and McGonagall directed them through London. Every now and then Al glanced over at Harry, who couldn't conceal his joy. His eyes flickered between the car window and McGonagall, almost as if he thought she'd disappear if he looked away too long.

Finally, they pulled in next to a small, dingy-looking pub near Charing Cross Road. Al and Harry peered up at the sign saying The Leaky Cauldron in wonder, while Al's Ma and Pa just glanced around aimlessly. McGonagall stepped forward and placed her hand on the door handle and suddenly, Mr. and Mrs. Dursley leaped back in surprise. Harry was clearly struggling to conceal the glee on his face as Al's Pa pointed a shaky finger at the pub in front of him, "Th-that wasn't there before," he exclaimed looking around to see if everyone saw what he did.

"It certainly was," McGonagall said to him as she held the door open for Harry and Al, "Muggles can't see this particular area of London unless invited to. And that, Mr Dursley, includes you." Mr and Mrs Dursley once again hesitated to enter the building with their daughter and nephew, but eventually managed it with a little bit of impatient tutting from the Hogwarts professor.

Upon entering, Al cast a quick glance around at the odd sorts that were in there having a drink. Before the group could take another step, however, they were pounced upon by the barman, "Good Lord, is this - can this be - ?" He seemed at a loss for words as he gazed at Harry, looking almost teary-eyed. Al noticed he wasn't looking at Harry's eyes, as one would when in conversation, but at his scar on his forehead, which Harry hastily covered up with his fringe. "Bless my soul, Harry Potter...what an honour."

There was a scurry towards them of people welcoming and congratulating Harry. They were shaking his hand, introducing themselves. One person she seemed to recognise and Harry did too because he exclaimed, "I know you!" The old man looked as though he may burst with joy at this comment.

It took a good ten minutes for the crowd to disperse, but when they finally did, Al, Harry and two very shocked and angry-looking Dursleys followed McGonagall to the back of the pub where they met another odd fellow nervously making his way forward. ("Oh not another one," Mr Dursley mumbled gruffly.)

"Professor Quirrel!" said McGonagall, recognising him, "Harry, Al - Professor Quirrel will be one of your teachers next year."

"P-P-Potter, so p-pleased to meet you," he stammered, shaking Harry's hand.

"What do you teach then, eh?" Al's Pa said abruptly.

"Defence Against the D-D-Dark Arts," he stammered again. Al thought he seemed rather nervous for a Defensive teacher - probably attacks himself in the mirror. She heard a disapproving 'hmph' from her Pa, and the group once more made their way through the pub.

They finally finished their journey through to a courtyard. All that Al could see were a few full dustbins and an old brick wall. She saw her Pa's smug face and was ready to turn back into the pub when McGonagall pulled out a wooden stick and tapped it against a particular brick rather sharply. Without warning, the bricks began to jostle and move around each other, revealing a bright, crowded street. Mr and Mrs Dursley took a few steps back, but Al and Harry gazed at it hopefully.

As they walked through, Al eyed little pop-up stalls selling all sorts of magical items: see through walls with Toffy's telescopes; cure-all creative remedies; and trap it before you taste it toad taffy. The window displays were incredible too. The latest broomstick hung in quality quidditch supplies. Barrels of bat's eyes and tubs of frogspawn sparkled in the window of an apothecary. Owls and cats sat patiently in their cages in Eelops Owl Emporium.

Al didn't know where to begin, but apparently McGonagall did because she steered them into Madame Malkins Robes for all Occasions. "Two more for Hogwarts," she instructed the lady who approached them, who then indicated two raised platforms for Al and Harry next to a boy their age with a pointed face and platinum-blond hair. "I'll go to the apothecary next door while you two get fitted," McGonagall informed them and left the shop, leaving the two Dursleys with the three children.

"Please, have a seat," Madame Malkin said, indicating the chairs near the shop front. The pair reluctantly sat down, with Al's Pa pulling out a newspaper while mumbling something under his breath. Al took her place between the two boys and waited patiently while the assistant took her measurements.

"Hello," said the boy next to Al, "I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy," he added.

He seemed nice enough, so she introduced them, "I'm Al, and this is my cousin Harry." The boy's eyes widened.

"As in... Harry Potter?" he asked, having the same reaction. Harry nodded, going slightly pale. Draco eyed Al's Ma and Pa.

"Well, your parents are very good at fitting in with the muggles," he commented. Al smiled despite not understanding what he was on about. She remembered the word from earlier, and recalled it including her Pa, but she wasn't sure exactly what it meant. Harry just looked confused. Draco seemed to want the conversation to continue, as he spoke up again, "So, you two are going to Hogwarts too? What house do you suppose you'll be in?"

"Er...I'm not really sure," Al responded, not knowing what houses she could be in.

"I'll be in Slytherin, for certain," he said with a smirk on his face, "I can't imagine being Hufflepuff, can you? I think I'd leave," he let out a short laugh, but Al didn't see what was funny. She kept her face perfectly neutral.

"What about the other houses though?" she asked Draco, who threw her a puzzled look but kept talking.

"Well, I wouldn't want to be Gryffindor," he scowled, "No, they're all proud and arrogant. 'Brave', pfft, more like stupid. I suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad - smart ones."

"So what's so great about Slytherin then?" Harry piped up, his new blossoming confidence glowing through. Al's Ma even looked up in surprise.

"Well - uh. All my family has been in Slytherin. And we're ambitious, and- and cunning." For a short while, Draco stumbled upon what to say and Al pondered upon the fact that Draco's opinion might not be entirely dependable. She'd just have to wait and see.

McGonagall collected them and they did the rest of their shopping. There was a slight delay when buying wands, because the wandmaker, Olivander, kept saying weird stuff about Harry and his parents, but Al took no notice. In the bookshop, Flourish, and Blotts, Al's parents bought her an extra book, called Hogwarts, A History, and they also agreed to buy her a beautiful brown owl (which she secretly said she'd share with Harry), so that she could write them letters while she was away. Al had strict instructions to not let her out her bedroom into the rest of the house, and only let her fly around at night.

She'd never been more excited in her life.