Chapter 6 | Ex

Chapter 6

Word count: 6.8 K

🏐🏐THIRD PERSON P.O.V.🏐🏐

The Ibato family were all frozen at the dinner table, staring at their youngest member as she brought her chopsticks to her mouth. She was the only one who moved, continuing her meal as if she hadn't dropped the bomb on them.

"C-Chi-chan, c-c-can you repeat that? I think I'm g-getting old and my hearing i-isn't as good as it u-used to be," Minako stuttered, her eyes shaking as she stared at her only daughter with a weak smile.

Chiaki blinked, looking up at her mother who sat across from her in confusion, her head tilted to the side.

"I joined the volleyball team."

Chiaki flinched as a loud clang rang out, her eyes shooting to Taiga who dropped his bowl he had in his hand, the rice spilling all over his front. Kouga, who sat next to their mother, choked on his miso soup, a wet gurgle leaving his mouth as he smacked his chest with his fist.

Minako's lips trembled before she burst into tears.

Chiaki sat in her chair, frozen in place as she watched the chaos that happened in front of her. Taiga was frozen stiff like a statue although steaming rice was covering him, Taiga wheezing as he tried to dislodge the tofu stuck in his pipe, and Minako sobbing while she fumbled with her phone.

Chiaki didn't realize Minako was calling someone until the familiar ring entered her ears, and she heard it get picked up with a "hello," a voice she immediately recognized as her father.

Hiroto's eyes widened, startled as his wife's sobbing face came into the sight as soon as he picked up the FaceTime call.

"H-Honey? What happened, are you okay?" The man questioned quickly in concern, his eyebrows knitting together. He only gets a blubbering response that makes his worry spike for his wife.

Minato, who sat across from him at the dinner table, looked up from his food, eyebrows raised up in interest, sending his father a questioning look.

"H-Hiroto....! Chi-chan....! C-Chi-chan!" Minako cried out Chiaki's nickname, making the two men in Tokyo share eye contact in concern, thinking something had happened to their youngest family member that was in Miyagi, hours away.

"Honey, calm down. Did something happen to Chiaki?" Hiroto asked gently, inwardly panicking, seeing how his wife was a mess on the screen, nose red as tears ran down her face.

"C-CHI-CHAN SAID SHE JOINED THE VOLLEYBALL TEAM!!!"

Hiroto and Minato froze, the later dropping his chopsticks, it rolling on the floor. Hiroto himself almost dropped his phone in his soup, fumbling with it in panic.

"W-What....?" Minato questioned with his tone a few octaves lower than usual. He's immediately up on his feet, rounding around the dinner table so he can peer into the phone in his shaking father's hand.

Chiaki has her eyes closed, the female pinching the bridge of her nose tiredly as the chaos continues at her house. Kouga was recovering from his near-death experience, the male wheezing as he wiped at his mouth that dripped with miso soup. She helped Taiga clean up, trying to place the rice grains that stuck onto him back into the bowl to get thrown out. Minako was still crying, looking like a mess.

Hiroto and Minato, who were in their house in Tokyo, tried to grasp the situation back at their other home in Miyagi, their mouths opening and closing. Their mind tried to process what they heard from Minako.

Both males blinked as the phone was taken away from the crying woman, the face of Chiaki replacing her.

"Hi dad, Minato-nii-san," Chiaki greets, smiling wearily, turning away from her family that was in the same room as her.