Chapter 18 - She's family

Start from the beginning

Interrupting him, I displayed a coy smile on my face, "Oh I'm sorry but I'm not interested. Like my Capo told you, we're here together," I cooed before showing him the ring quickly, letting my hand fall to my side as I continued, "You know." I grinned and felt Bruno bring me closer to him. I did not know if I should call him Bruno or Bucciarati in front of other members so I opted for his rank, which seemed like the safer option. Melone's face blanched, I was aware there was this rule in the mafia world that went something like, 'never look at your friend's wife'. Perhaps it wasn't in use with the new Don, but the way the purple-haired man blanched, it seemed I had struck a chord. In the background a blue-haired man was laughing his ass off at the exchange.

"I'm sorry Bucciarati," he apologized quickly before joining his friend whom hit the back of his head once he was by his side. Watching them disappear in the crowd, I let out a sigh "Well now they might get the idea we're married, but at least they'll stop making advances, right?" I chuckled, glancing up at Bruno, almost choking at the look he was giving me; I could only describe it as hungry and it made my heart pound hard in my chest yet I stared right back at him with a confused look. Noticing in the background a waiter passing by I signaled him to come so that I could grab something from the tray. I took a champagne flute for Bruno but being that I didn't drink I didn't take anything.

Facing Bruno again, I handed him the glass hesitantly. He still had not spoken since Melone left and just kept staring at me, it was intense and as much as I liked staring challenges, this one I would rather not participate in. I knew he'd win since I couldn't not stop myself from fidgeting under his gaze. Instead of focusing on the raven-haired man, I decided to scan the room to see if there was anything odd, anything out of place. As I observed around the ballroom discretely, I felt Bruno's grasp on my chin as he turned my head to face him. Looking down at me, I saw his face getting closer and closer. I couldn't keep looking at him, instead I closed my eyes, expecting his lips to meet mine, my fast beating heart muffled the sound of everything around. Then I felt a pressure on my forehead. Opening my eyes, I could see his neck and his Adam's apple bobbing as he spoke.

"God, you're driving me crazy." He breathed out before pulling away, a smile on his face as his cheeks were tinted slightly redder than usual. Finally taking the flute from my hand, he turned around and shoved his free hand in his pocket. I was still speechless from what had just happened, did I imagine this almost kiss or was it real? Had he planned on kissing me, but then changed his mind? I'm sure I'm reading the atmosphere wrong, who am I kidding? I scoffed and leaned on the high table behind us. "There doesn't seem to be anything odd for now, do you think the others have found anything?" I asked him casually. Turning around to face me, he tsked. "Don't lean on the table like this, amore." With a huff I moved off the table, "Well my feet hurt and you were my support but you prefer to stay away." Why was I childish like this? He was barely one step away from me, it wasn't weird to do that but I wanted him right next to me. I wanted to have him by my side so that I knew he wouldn't wander off.

Shaking his head with a grin, he put his glass down and grabbed both of my hands in his before pulling me closer. Closer as in, right in front of him as he intertwined his hands together on the small of my back. "You're making this so difficult." He whispered right next to my ear, making me feel a shiver run down my spine but I didn't move. Instead, I laughed nervously, "I don't know what you're talking about, I'm the one who made Melone go away if I recall." I said proudly as I looked up at him with a beaming smile. Letting a breathy laugh, he grinned as looked down at me with a strange look. "Yes, that." There seemed to be something else behind his words, I couldn't quite catch what it was. We couldn't stay like this any longer, we had a mission. Whilst I wanted nothing more than to stay close to him, I unhooked his hands from my back and wrapped my arm around his.