Chapter 14 - Sucker punch

Entering the bar, it felt like a déjà vu, it was the same mood as the day we had gathered to talk about the stand-tracker, once more I couldn't find the people we were supposed to be meeting. I tried my best, but they knew how to lay low even though they matched colors like a 5 years-old being allowed to choose his outfit for the first time.

Placing a hand on my lower back, Bruno guided me in silence towards the far end of the room where I caught a glimpse of Abbacchio's silver hair. He was sitting alone, a bottle of wine on the table, his eyes were roaming the room: he was on guard. "Abbacchio." Bruno greeted with a smile as we sat down in front of him. Acknowledging our presence, he nodded as he leaned back on the bench seat. While a silence had settled, I could hear people singing in the background, off key if I may add. It appeared it was karaoke night, but I'd have a hard time imagining any of those men singing on stage.

"God, I'm too sober for this." I mumbled, tearing my gaze away from the drunk people singing on stage. The raven-haired man chuckled, "You don't even drink." He remarked, earning a laugh from Abbacchio who shook his head as he took a sip from his drink. "Well you know what, maybe I should start." I told him with a laugh before standing up, "I'm going to get a drink, do you need anything?" Bruno was ready to join but I told him to stay put, I was used to hang out in pub, I could handle ordering a drink.

Reaching the bar, I put my elbows on the counter and asked the bartender for a soft and a glass of whisky. Nodding, she left to get my drinks and I waited, unfortunately it was just enough time for a loudmouth to approach me. "What is a beautiful girl like you doing here, alone?" he asked with a, supposedly, charming smile. Quirking a brow, I glanced at him from the corner of my eyes, a deadly expression on my face. "Well, I'm not alone. There is that." I stated, handing the money to the bartender who shook her head, telling me that since I was with the Passione Famiglia, I didn't have to pay.

"Oh, are you here for a girls' night out or something?" he asked, following me as I grabbed the drinks and walked towards my table, "Or something." I shrugged dismissively, not wasting time looking at him as I left. Jesus, fortunately he hadn't tried anything, I hated that gut feeling I had when receiving unwanted attention. Maybe he was genuinely interested in me, which was sad for him considering my blatant infatuation for the right-hand man of a mafia don. Mmh, not a sentence I'd thought I'd say, ever...

"Here you go. I'm pretty sure it's bad for business to give free drinks." I beamed, tilting my head towards the barmaid, as I handed Bruno his glass whom took it with a bright smile. Joining him as I sat down, I noticed Abbacchio's angry look staring at something to my right. "What the fuck are you looking at, fucker?" he called out, a threatening expression covering his face. Following his gaze, I noticed the man from earlier, he had sat at the table right next to ours, with his friends. The same man stood up at Abbacchio's taunt and walked to us.

"What did you call me, cazzo?" the annoying dude asked with surprise. The tone of his voice made it clear he was angry at Abbacchio's words, and knowing the mafioso, I knew where this was going. The silver-haired man stood up, towering the man in front of him. "I said, fucker. Now fuck off." Abbacchio reiterated, looking at the main with disdain. He was holding back for now, but soon enough he won't be able to control himself.

Chuckling nervously, the man looked my way smiling apologetically as he stepped back. "Hey bella, call back your dog or something, I just wanted to get a drink with you, I'm Donatello." His expression was so fake, I grimaced as I faced him, a tight smile on my lips. "I don't want to get a drink with you, so like he said," I gestured to Abbacchio who was standing with his arms crossed over his chest, "fuck off." I told him before looking off to the side. "Fucking whore-" he barely had time to finish that Leone grabbed collar and brought him closer to him.