Chapter 38 [~|~] The Waterbending Master

"I'm not one to complain, but can't Appa fly any higher?" Sokka whined, as Appa's feet grazed the surface of the ocean once more.

"You? Complain? Never," Azara joked, tugging the blanket around her tighter as a cool breeze blew through the air.

"I have an idea. Why don't we all get on your back and you can fly us to the North Pole?" Aang grumbled, obviously getting annoyed with Sokka.

"I'd love to. Climb aboard everyone. Sokka's ready for takeoff," Sokka said sarcastically as he shook his rear. Momo jumped on his back as Katara sighed.

"Look we're all just a little tired and cranky from flying for two days straight," Katara pointed out, trying to ease the tensions.

"And for what, we can't even find the Northern Water Tribe? There's nothing up here," Sokka groaned, flopping back onto Appa's saddle. Suddenly, an ice column materialized in front of Appa, causing Aang to swerve out of the way to try and avoid the ice.

"You just had to open your mouth!" Azara yelled, holding onto Appa's saddle for dear life. Another ice spike appeared in front of Appa, catching his leg. They screamed out as Appa hit the water, instantly being frozen in place by several men in boats.

"They're waterbenders! We found the Northern Water Tribe!" Katara exclaimed as the boats neared. The boats escorted them to the Northern Water Tribe. Emerging from the surrounding frozen landscape, the wall of the magnificent city was the first feature the group noticed. 

"This is amazing!" Azara gasped as a portion of the wall melted away and a team of waterbenders pushed them inside. The waterbenders of the North Pole were in complete control their entire environment, creating the magnificent structures of their city.

"I can't believe how many waterbenders live up here," Katara commented, staring up at the city and its residents with wonder.

"We'll find a master to teach us, no problem," Aang nodded at Katara as he waved to the citizens. Azara sat quietly in Appa's saddle as she stared up at the city with astonishment.

"This place is beautiful," Azara praised, looking up at the large building in the city center.

"Yes, she is," Sokka sighed dreamily, as if in a daze. Confused, Azara looked behind her to see a beautiful Water Tribe girl float by on her own boat. She had stark white hair that was pulled back into loops, which stood out against her brown skin and ocean blue eyes. Her hair pins and clothing screamed status to Azara.

Azara knew immediately what Sokka was talking about, and it wasn't the architecture. On impulse, she grabbed the hood of his jacket and pulled him back into Appa's saddle. "Hey! What was that for?" he complained, turning around to glare at her.

"You were about to fall into the water," Azara replied, crossing her arms over her chest. Sokka muttered something she couldn't hear as Katara stifled a giggle. 

They were led to the Northern Water Tribe Royal Palace, which was nestled deep in the city, for a feast prepared in their honor. Azara sat awkwardly quiet, staring at the table, as Aang, Katara, and Sokka smiled at the assembled Water Tribe individuals. She looked up from the table as the Chief of the Northern Water Tribe, Arnook, stood up to give a speech. 

"Tonight, we celebrate the arrival of our brother and sister from the Southern Tribe, and the princess who willingly turned her back on her nation to aid our cause. And they have brought with them someone very special, someone whom many of us believed disappeared from the world . . . until now. The Avatar!" he announced as Aang waved shyly at the crowd.