Chapter 110 [~|~] Sozin's Comet (Part 2: The Old Masters)

Zuko led the way over to June's table. The bounty hunter glanced up at the group with an unimpressed expression, her gaze trained on Zuko in particular. "Oh great. It's Prince Pouty. Where's your creepy grandpa?"

"He's my uncle. And he's not here."

"I see you worked things out with your girlfriend," June continued, glancing over at Katara.

"I'm not his girlfriend!"

"She's not my girlfriend!"

"Okay, okay. Sheesh. I was only teasing. So, what do you want?" June asked, taking another sip of her drink.

"I need your help finding the Avatar."

"Hmm. Doesn't sound too fun," June murmured, looking away from Zuko.

"Does the end of the world sound like more fun!?" Zuko snapped, clenching his fists as he took another step towards June.

"What my brother is trying to say," Azara huffed, stepping forward and pushing Zuko to the side, "is that we need to find the Avatar soon or the Fire Nation's going to burn your home and the entire Earth Kingdom to the ground. So, your options are to help us or find another place to live. Your choice."

June raised an eyebrow at Azara's words before nodding and getting up. "Alright, I'll play."

They walked outside, heading towards the two large beasts. Appa and Nyla growled at each other, circling, and seemingly ready to pounce. Appa was the first to relent, licking Nyla, before the two of them laid down together. Nyla jumped back up as June approached with a piece of meat for him.

"Nyla. Who's my little Snuffly-Wuffly?" June cooed, rubbing his head, before jumping out of the way as Nyla shot out his tongue. "Whoa! Careful there." June turned to Team Avatar as she held Nyla's mouth closed. "Okay. So, who's got something with the Avatar's scent on it?"

"I have Aang's staff," Katara called from Appa's saddle, holding the stick out.

June collected the staff before holding it in front of Nyla. The shirshu took a few sniffs of the staff before he jumped up and began walking around in circles. Nyla continued sniffing around in a circle, before he finally laid down and covered his nose with his paws, whining.

"Well, what does that mean?" Zuko asked as June knelt down to pet Nyla.

"Means your friend's gone."

"We know he's gone. That's why we're trying to find him," Toph scoffed as June stood up.

"No, I mean he's gone gone. He doesn't exist," June revealed, turning back to the group. Everyone's eyes widened in shock at the information.

"What do you mean Aang doesn't exist?" Sokka exclaimed, looking nervous. "Do you mean he's . . . you know, dead?"

"Nope. We could find him if he were dead. Wow, it's a real head-scratcher. Well, see ya." June jumped on top of Nyla and prepared to leave.

"Helpful. Real helpful," Azara sighed, looking away with a frown.

"Wait. I have another idea," Zuko interjected, clambering for his pack. "There's only one other person in this world who can help us face the Fire Lord. I'll be right back with a smell sample."

Azara covered her nose with her hands as she stared in disgust at Uncle's old sandal. "There was literally nothing else you have to remember him by? Nothing else?" she huffed as Sokka buried his face into her back to try and hide from the scent.