Chapter 44: Welcome to Moviedom! (Segunda)

• The slightly scandalous charcoal drawing of a topless Kate Winslet in Titanic was drawn by none other than the director himself, James Cameron.

• Pet rats sold big after Ratatouille. After the success of the 2007 film telling the story of the lovable, culinary-inspired vermin, kids everywhere asked their parents, "Can we get one? I promise I'll take care of it." At least one domestic pet chain saw sales of pet rats jump 50 percent after the movie's release.

• And clownfish vanished after Finding Nemo. Just as there was a run on pet rats, the population of clownfish in their natural habitats took a precipitous drop following the release of Finding Nemo, which stars a clownfish. Marine biologists reported that the numbers of the fish dropped by as much as 75 percent in the Australian reefs they inhabit.

• Three major horror franchises were inspired by the same serial killer. It takes one particularly terrifying creep to inspire Hannibal Lecter, Norman Bates, and Leatherface, but that's the legacy left by horrifying serial killer Ed Gein. When he was finally caught and his house of horrors in Plainfield, Wisconsin, discovered, police found masks and lampshades made from human skin, among plenty of other atrocities. His astonishing depravity proved a source of creative inspiration.

• The most profitable film of all time is Paranormal Activity. Thanks to its microscopic budget and major success at the box office, the 2007 film Paranormal Activity, scored a return on investment of 19,758 percent, absolutely blowing away the next most profitable film (2015 horror film The Gallows, with an ROI of 6,843 percent). It cost just $60,000 to make and another $400,000 or so to market, yet ultimately brought in more than $89 million.

• The two least profitable films both take place on Mars. If you're looking to score big box office bucks, stay away from Mars. The two biggest money losers of all time both take place on that planet, with the 2012 sci-fi bomb John Carter holding the No. 2 spot with a loss of almost $127 million, outdone only by Mars Needs Moms, from a year earlier, which lost its studio more than $143 million—the worst ROI ever.

The Matrix code comes from sushi. Those complex-looking green digits scrolling down the screen in The Matrix may look like mysterious code, but in fact they were symbols from a sushi cookbook, scanned by the movie's production designer.

• In Avatar, the human avatars have five fingers, but the real Na'vi have only four.*

• In the pharmacy scene in The Quiet Place (2018) the shelves are mostly empty but the chip aisle is still full. This infers that people have left them because it is too difficult to eat a bag of chips without making a noise.

Toy Story 2 was nearly deleted when an animator accidentally put an erasing code in the wrong spot. Pixar co-founder Edwin Catmull: "First Woody's hat disappeared. Then his boots. Then he disappeared entirely." Luckily supervising technical director Galyn Susman had a backup at home.

• Iron Man's computer JARVIS is an acronym that stands for Just A Rather Very Intelligent System.

• After the release of the 1996 film Scream, which involved an anonymous killer calling and murdering his victims, Caller ID usage tripled in the United States.

• Sandra Bullock was almost “Neo” in The Matrix. The film’s producers had such a hard time finding the right man for the role before they found Keanu Reeves that they almost changed Neo to a female character. 😂

• Film producer Jeffrey Katzenberg revived The Walt Disney Studios by producing some of their biggest hits: The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. After these he requested a promotion, and was then abruptly fired by them. He then swore revenge against Disney and founded DreamWorks Studios.

• In the film Star Wars Episode Three: Revenge of the Sith, every single one of the clone troopers was produced using CGI effects.

• The least financially successful Harry Potter film made which is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, is approximately $90 million more than the most successful Twilight movie.

The Hobbit has been published in two editions. In the first edition, Gollum willingly bet on his ring in the riddle game.

• Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story has actually been to outer space! Buzz Lightyear spent 15 months on board the International Space Station, and returned to Earth on the 11th September, 2009.

• When playing Princess Leah in Star Wars, actress Carrie Fisher never once wore a bra in any of her scenes. This is because George Lucas believed that there would be no bra in space and it would be more realistic. ☺

• India's movie industry Bollywood is the largest in the world producing over 800 movies a year. Hollywood only produces half of that. Next is Nollywood (Nigeria).

• Ripley in the movie Alien was originally intended to be male but was changed to female because audiences at that time would not expect the lone survivor to be female.

🍞