Chapter 15: Psychological Facts and Trivia

• Research has found that good relationships are more important to a long life than exercise.

• Your brain does more creative work when you're tired.

• Optimistic beliefs about the future can protect people from physical and mental illness.

• Holding hands with someone you love can alleviate physical pain as well as stress and fear.

• People who view TV crime shows consistently overestimate the frequency of crime in the real world.

• People with low self-esteem tend to "try" and humiliate others.

• Opposites don't attract at all times. You're more likely to be attracted to someone who looks and thinks the same as you do.

• We seem to ignore the ones who adore us & pay more attention to those who ignore us.

• Depression is the result of over thinking. The mind creates problems that didn't even exist.

• Being with happy people makes you happier.

• Smart people underestimate themselves, and ignorant people think they're brilliant.

• Your mind wanders 30% of the time.

• Your favorite song is probably your favorite because you associate it with an emotional event in your life.

• The type of music, you listen to affects the way you perceive the world.

• Researchers are debating on adding Internet addiction to the list of mental disorders.

• 68% of the people suffer from Phantom Vibration Syndrome, the feeling that one's phone is vibrating when it's not.

• Religious practices, like prayer and attending services, is associated with lower levels of psychological distress.

• Human behavioral studies suggest that a person who loses their cell phone experiences a panic similar to a near death experience.

• A hug longer than twenty seconds will release chemicals into your body that make you trust the person you're hugging.

• People are more honest when physically tired.

• Happiness, anger, sadness, fear, disgust, and surprise are the six emotions that are universally expressed.

• People tend to be happier when they are kept busy, as this prevents them from thinking about the negative things in life.

• Women generally prefer men with deep husky voices because they seem more confident and not aggressive.

• The people who give the best advice are usually the ones with the most problems.

• The smarter the person is, the faster he thinks, and the sloppier his handwriting is.

• The way a person treats restaurant staff reveals a lot about their character.

• People who have a strong sense of guilt are better at understanding other people's thoughts and feelings.