Chapter 5: English Facts and Trivia

• The word set has the most definitions compared to any words in tthe english language. It has 464 definitions.

• A pangram is a type of sentence that uses every letter in the english alphabet. Example is "The quick little brown fox jumps over the lazy dog near the riverbank."

• The plastic material at the end of the shoe lace is called an aglet.

• Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the longest word in English.

• There is a name for the small dot in the letter i and j - tittle.

• This symbol (&) is called an ampersand.

• The words we always use or repeatedly used during conversation even if they don't add meaning to what you are saying are called crutch words.

• "I am" is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

• There are "ghost words" that mean nothing. For example is dord.

• The shortest, oldest and most commonly used word is I.

• Swims will be swims even when turned upside down. These words are called ambigrams.

• Girl used to mean small boy or girl.

• A new word is added to the dictionary every two hours.

• The shortest English word that contains the letter A, B, C, D, E, and F is feedback.

• There are only four words in English language which end in "-dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous and hazardous.

• No word in English rhyme with: month, purple, orange and silver.

• The longest English word that can be spelled without repeating any letter is "uncopyrightable".

• The second longest word in the English language is antidisestablishmenterianism.

• Euouae is the longest English word that contains only vowel.

• Screeched is the longest one-syllable word in English.

• Floccinaucinihilipilification is the longest word in English that does not contain the letter "e".

• Q is the only letter that does not occur in any of the US state name.

• Maine is the only US state whose name is just one syllable.

• The word therein contains only seven letters, but it contains ten words that can be formed using consecutive letters: the, there, I, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, herein.

• Almost is the longest word in English with all letters in alphabetical order.

• There are nine different ways to pronounce 'ough' in English.

• More English words begin with the letter 's' than with any other letter.

• The word 'alphabet' comes from the first two letters of the Greek alphabet: alpha, beta

• Cowards have been called chickens since the 14th century.

• In its earliest known written record, the English alphabet had 29 letters.

• Bystanders were originally called stander-bys.