"You're right," she said suddenly. "I deserve some fun."

"Yeah you do," cheered Linda. "Go sow some beans."

Emma shook her head, "That's not how it goes."

~~***~~

By mid-afternoon her second date was meant to start. Joey had been forced to accompany them as the photographer. The man she was to meet was named Jeff Thorn and Emma was pleasantly surprised when she met him at the riverbank.

Jeff wasn't tall but thankfully, Emma was short. He stood only two inches taller than her, straight and stiff as a ruler with bright, red hair that looked too artificially done. His hair was styled into a thick blanket that flopped over the right of his head. His smile was broad and sincere. His jaw was clean and round and his dark, almost black eyes, were open and honest.

She felt hopeful for the date. She still didn't remember him from the interviews.

When she was close to him, he'd stuck out his hand in greeting. "You're prettier than the picture they showed me." She smiled at the compliment. "I'm Jeff, it's great to meet you."

"I'm Juliet," she lied. He shook her hand enthusiastically and she had to hold her arm in case it broke off from the force. "What do you have planned for us today?"

He released her hand and looked behind him excitedly. "We're going rowing."

She blinked a couple of times. "Rowing, not sailing." She looked at him for verification. He nodded and apprehension instantly stiffened her. "I've never rowed before."

He waved her off. "Don't worry. It's easy and I'll do most of the work." She appraised him and her apprehension turned to worry.

"Don't take this the wrong way," she said delicately, "but, you don't look like you row much." He didn't look like he had much muscle.

He laughed. "I don't. I started a few weeks ago. Don't worry, I got this." He walked towards the bank where she saw a small boat. She wasn't sure if she should panic. Surely rowing meant they used a canoe, not a small rusty wooden boat.

When he got to the boat, he stepped in, recovered his balance quickly, and then grinned up at her. "Come on, this will be fun." Emma looked around and found Joey sitting on a blanket just up the bank. He had his camera poised in their direction. Jeff knew he was there and knew what he was doing. At least if something happened, Joey would have proof, even if her face is blurred.

"Time to start living," she muttered. Jeff held his hand out for her and helped her settle safely on the gently rocking boat. He helped her sit first and then sat in front of her. Hidden on the sides of the boat were oars and Emma grimaced when Jeff passed her one. "I don't know what I'm doing." she said earnestly.

He laughed. Emma wasn't sure she liked his relaxation. He should be fearful of drowning, like she was. "Here," he said and reached forward to help her turn her ore the right way. "Now see the thicker side?" He pointed to the large part and she nodded. "Watch me." She watched carefully at how he maneuvered it to his side and stuck the thick piece into the water. "Your turn." Emma tried to copy him and pushed her end into the water beside her. He smiled at her. "Well done." She sat taller at his praise. "Now when we row, we'll need to move in the same direction, or we'll go in circles."

She sat still and listened to his instructions as she watched how he moved his arms. He impressed her. He was calm and patient as he taught her, even when she'd mess up and they'd paddle in a circle. He mostly laughed at her inexperience and showed her again. She couldn't believe how relaxed he made her feel when moments earlier, she'd been terrified.