[ Chapter 35 - In the Basement ]

Start from the beginning

When the plane finally landed Blake was the first to leave the group. It looked like he could fall asleep any minute, I couldn't blame the guy, he had been flying the plane by himself for seven hours. It was a miracle we didn't crash.

Ace and I noted to treat him out for dinner when everything goes back to normal. 

Ace, Edward and I were at the pick-up area when a black car arrived, three men in black suits approached us and Ace smiled. He talked to the three of them and pointed at Edward, I could not really hear their conversation. 

When Ace got back, he told Edward to get in the car and that he should not worry because those men will be protecting him until the trial. Edward didn't doubt Ace at all, he smiled at us before leaving, we smiled in return.

After Edward left with the men in black, Ace and I made our way to the parking lot where he had left his car. I almost bumped on the side mirror before entering the car, I felt tired and exhausted despite sleeping the whole plane ride. Breaking Edward out of the hospital seemed to have lessened our lifeline, Ace looked tired himself as well. I was planning on staying quiet the whole ride home until a question popped in my head.

"Who are those guys?" I asked. 

I can vividly recall Ace telling me that he knew people who would keep Edward safe until the trial but I just had to confirm that he really was in safe hands. We can't afford to lose him now, we are so close to giving him his freedom and justice. 

"They work for my dad, they are his old bodyguards. When our bank was in a tight spot, my dad kept receiving threats, he needed, well, we needed people who could keep us safe. They are taking Edward to our old house, he is safe there because the location is unknown and it is also going to be well protected by them, don't worry," he assured me and I nodded. 

Since the airport was close to our house we arrived in a jiffy and to my surprise both my parents were home. 

"Cana, darling, you've arrived and I see you're together with Dr. Sony," she smiled and embraced me. He gave Ace a short cheek to cheek before he gestured for the both of us to go in. Ace had taken my suitcase and followed. 

"Dr. Sony, thanks for bringing my daughter back safely," my dad patted Ace on the back and Ace smiled slyly. 

If only they knew what stunt we had pulled in London. 

"Well, I'll be heading off then, Mr. and Mrs. Va-"

"No, no, no, what are you talking about? Let's have dinner together, the food is being prepared already. Cana why don't you get changed and give Ace spare clothes as well, It seems like the two of you had quite a long flight," my mom offered, accepting only a yes for an answer. 

"I will gladly accept it, Mrs. Vandia," Ace smiled. 

"And stop calling me that, its either mom or Athyla," my mom's voice was soft and kind. It made me realize why all the patients were always asking for her at the hospital. She was a very kind and soft-spoken doctor.