[ Chapter 28 - A Night with Tine ]

"Are you still not over me, Ace?"

The question at the top of my head was blurted out. I immediately regretted it but I didn't show it in my expression. There is a possibility that I was right anyway or so I thought.

"Don't think too highly of yourself, Vandia," Ace said my exact thoughts. 

"Do you think I'm marrying you 'cause I still love you?" he raised an eyebrow. I could tell he was getting amused by me again. I always felt like a clown when I was around him, a form of entertainment. 

'Yes?'

I answered his question in my head but I did not have the guts to say it aloud. 

My old self would have punched me in the stomach for everything I have done in the past few days. It was not like I had forgotten Ace giving up on our relationship when I needed him the most but at the same time, the anger I had back then had already faded. Right now he was the guy who taught me how to love. He was the guy I used to love. 

"I agreed to the marriage because it would be stupid to throw away the throne of the Vandia Corporation," he shrugged and my heart sank immediately.

He was marrying me to become President. 

I expected that but hearing it come from his own lips sent me to a pit of hopelessness. I wouldn't feel this way if I had no feelings for him. I wouldn't have this heavy heart if there was nothing going on. 

My past self would have denied these feelings but I knew better.

I was still in love with Jack Aceson Juarez. 

I recalled all the times I had tried to date many different guys. I would always ask Tine to set me up but no matter how handsome, no matter how smart or how rich they were,  I was not satisfied. 

I found myself stifling a pathetic smile when I realized that I have always been in love with him, I've just been hiding it, denying it, so why am I suddenly trying to accept it?

"I knew that," I gave him a forced smile and he smirked at me. 

"And yet you still thought I was in love with you?" 

I had no idea why but every word he said was painful to me.

"Forget it, I just hope you know that I think you deserve the spot anyway," I gave him a bleak smile before I shut the door. 

He frowned and looked like he wanted to say something else but I didn't want to hear it. I was expecting him to knock again so I placed my ear against the door but I only heard his footsteps fading. I slump on the floor and stared at the chamomile tea on my hand.