aprentice / only time [ pg]

Start from the beginning

" my dear..I'm not here to punish you. I'm here to offer you an apprenticeship with me. That's why I had Bofur here ask you to meet down here...figure you would be more comfortable with a friend present. I've already talked to your father and he agrees it would be good for you if you so wanted." Tia looked bewildered at what was going on.

Bofur let her slip out of his arms with a feeling of loss from the absence of the warmth of her body that had been pressed against his. He wished he could pull her back there and hold her like that again..but she wasn't ready and he had time to wait till she was.

" your offering me an apprenticeship with you sir? But why me?" Her puzzeled expression made him chuckle again.

" Well.." he paused for a moment remembering that eventful day when the other craftsmen was chasing a dwarfling carrying the girl away he stayed behind because something caught his eye. It was some of the gems laying on the table ,away from the destruction zone , arranged in a beautiful yet intricate pattern that he knew he had to use in his next design. As he gazed upon the gems he realized it was the child who had done this and he he knew then that if she survived to apprentice age he would take her on as his." I've been watching you child and I see potential in you that only I can mold like a smithy does when tempering a piece of metal into a fine blade. You will be like mithril when I'm done passing my knowledge onto you..strong yet flexible ..I forsee a master jeweler emerging from this piece of rock before me." As he spoke he rose from his chair with growing excitment about the prospect of turning this wild child into a great jeweler. " come child say yes and become my apprentice..my student " he stood there staring and waiting for her answer.

Tia looked at the master as he was speaking ,then to bofur in surprise, then back again to master Grieg with a smile forming on her face.

" Yes. I would be honored to be your apprentice master Grieg. Thank you sir" there was a sense of happiness that grew in her over being chosen by a prestigous master.

" very well then..we leave in 1 week for Ered Luin. I will give you till the end to say your goodbyes and finish getting your affairs in order." With that he walked out the door of the workshop and left the two of them alone. Tia looked shocked at the news that she was leaving everything behind by weeks end and as her master was walking out the door she stuttered "m..m..master" but it was too late..he was gone. She looked over at Bofur and saw his face..he was trying to smile but his eyes were filled with sadness.

" Aw lassie..this is great news. Your going to be great..just listen well to master Grieg and learn all you can. He's strict but fair..I've known him for several years and heard no complaints from anyone." Bofurs throat started to get tight. " Why don't you hurry up and go tell your family the good news. I know they will be excited." His hand reached out and softly touched her hair and cheek as his chest got tighter.Tia looked like she was about to say something to him but then he whispered" Go lass." Tias eyes held his for a moment then she nodded and left. As she rounded the corner she heard a sound that brought tears to her eyes and sent them flowing down her cheeks ,soaking her bodice of her dress.

The moment Bofur saw her turn the corner a moan tore out of him as he fell to his knees and hung his head in pain. His amralime (love) was leaving and he didn't know if he would ever see her again. But he had a plan to help her remember him for always.

The week past fairly quickly for Tia as she prepared for leaving with her master. There was celebration back home over her new life to come, everyone was so proud of her and her father couldn't stop beaming with pride over his daughters great fortune. Tia walked around with a smile on her face ,but inside she felt like something was wrong. Tohlm was the only one who knew that she wasn't as happy as she appeared and he knew the why. He went to talk bofur about it but all he would say was" please not now..I need to finish..got to get it done before its too late..please don't let her see" all Tohlm could do was keep her away till it was time.

The day finally arrived and Tia was saying her farewells to family while her pony and pack mule was being loaded for her trip. Her eyes kept scanning the faces for a certain one but she didn't see him.Tohlm noticed and leaned over to whisper in her ear " don't worry ..he will show" praying he was right. It was time for her to leave with her master, she mounted up,looked around one last time..still did not see him and she felt a sadness that she wouldn't get to see him one last time. As she directed her pony towards the way she heard a voice that she longed to hear shouting her name.

" Tia! Tia! Wait!" It was Bofur running towards her ..hoping she would hear him and stop. Tia suddenly dimounted and rushed over to him embracing him tightly. " My sweet lass" his arms hugged her tightly to him wishing he didnt ever have to let her go "Im glad you didn't leave before I could give you something to always remember me by" he meant to say us but his heart betrayed him and he said me. Tia looked up into his lovely green brown eyes with a sad smile forming on her lips .

" me too bofur. I wanted to say bye." He forced his arms to let her go and hand her a box carved with roses on top. As she took it from him he started to sing a song softly that only she could hear.

Who can say where the road goes

Where the day flows, only time

And who can say if your love grows

As your heart chose, only time

And who can say why your heart sighs

As your love flies,only time

And who can say why your heart cries

When your love lies,only time

Who can say when the roads meet

That love might be in your heart

And who can say when the day sleeps

If the night keeps all your heart

Who knows - only time

As his beautiful voice sang to her she saw the unshed tears in his eyes and she felt something happening to her heart that she couldn't understand. The song faded and he told her to open the box. When she lifted the lid she saw a delicate wooden rose on a silver chain lying in the silk lined box. Her hands shook as she tried to take it out to put on, but bofurs hands gently took it from her. " turn around and let me" he tried to keep his hands steady as he latched it around her creamy throat. " there..its perfect" he said as she turned around to gaze once more at him for the final time. Master Grieg cleared his throat in agitation at the delay of his trip.

"Its time for you to go and start a new life ...Tia ..my rose" bofurs voice cracked on the last word. Tia took a deep breath of his scent , turned around and mounted her pony.

Bofur watched her fade into the distance before he fell to his knees clutching where his heart was breaking into more pieces than he thought possible. Suddenly he felt a comforting hand on his shoulder and when he looked he saw it was Tohlm standing there with a tear running down his cheek.

Tia looked down at the rose pendent around her neck and noticed writing carved on a petal..it said Only time.

A/N : song is enyas - only time