One step closer

Back with the update!

AshuX
***
The night of seventeenth September was spent with me deciding if I wanted to wish Chance or not. The whole evening, I was with my friends re-watching the show, 'We Got Married' season 2 again.

Ah Rin fell asleep because she was tired. I was worried that she might be overworking herself again. Ah Rin loved working to a point where it stresses her out. Everytime we ask her to stop, she'd simply answer that she's saving up time to spend with us.

So Mi and I were squealing at the cute couples. Even though it's reel, it felt so real. Sometimes it even makes me sad that most times they don't end up dating or marrying in real life.

So Mi went on a date on the morning of eighteenth, by the time Ah Rin woke up. She and I were listing each and every consequences of me wishing Chance the whole day. The time zones differed by 13 hours and it meant that it was still the night before his birthday. I didn't want to hear his voice again, the same voice which said that I don't matter anymore.

She sighed, "Let's just take an opinion from Joo Hyun."

"I don't think that's a good idea,"

"Why not? He knows about your past!" She reasoned out.

I didn't know how to reply her. It felt wrong to ask him about an ex I'm trying to forget, because my feelings for him are developing in a very high rate. Even though it might feel like I'm just his best friend taking advice, I wouldn't feel the same. I started to like him, more and more the time we spend together.

I shrugged, "I just- you know what? I'm over him, I can even look him in the eye and say that I'm over him. A phone call shouldn't worry me!"

Ah Rin gave a thumbsup, "If you're okay then you should wish him."

I nodded.

When the clock struck twelve in the American timezone, Ah Rin and I were sharing glances. I sighed and grabbed my phone. I dialed his number, still remembering every digit. I waited as the phone rang.

He picked it up on the second ring, his voice sounded tired as if he just came home after working. He probably didn't even check the caller ID, he never does. "Hello?"

I cleared my throat, "Happy birthday, Chance. Keep smiling and keep shining. Enjoy your day-"

"J-Ji Hee?" I could say that he was shocked to see me calling. And he probably even forgot. "I- thank you."

"Sleep well, goodnight."

Before I hung up, I could hear Mitch yelling him as he wished him a birthday. Mitch probably hugged him so tight, just the way he usually does. I smiled to myself, it felt almost as if I'm there. Chance turned twenty six today. Last year around this time, we were fading away. Exactly a year later, not even memory stains of us are left.

I waited for the clock to strike twelve. I wanted to be the first one to wish him. I have maintained a good record of doing so for four years. It was like a yearly snapchat streak. Mitch and I compete in wishing him, giving him the best present and what not.

This time, I got him something he'd like. I made him a scrapbook of all of our memories, since the time we first met. The memories of us. I was being cheesy but what can I say? He makes me do all this cute stuff, his effect on me makes me even childish than I already am.

When the clock struck twelve, I found myself calling him. He almost didn't pick it up. He picked up around fifth ring. "Hello?"

I couldn't hear his voice clearly, there was some noise. Was he in a party? It sounded like a party to me, songs blarred through the phone. I winced at the noise.