Chapter [[11]]

Beginne am Anfang

I smiled, "I won't answer that until you tell me why you lied."

He frowned, "I never lied to you."

"Yes, you did. You told me you liked someone who's name started with an 'S'. My name starts with a 'B'." I told him.

He suddenly grinned. "You're middle name is Serena," he stated.

I looked at him, confused. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"I never specified which name. I never said it was her first name that started with 'S'." He kept grinning.

My mouth was parted slightly, realizing the truth. That's right; he never did say it was her first name. It was her middle name that started with 'S'. It was my middle name.

I huffed, "Stupid smart people." I muttered, looking away from him.

His soft laugh was at my ear, and his finger tilted my chin to make me look at him. Our faces were only inches apart.

"Now, you have to answer my question." He said.

I smiled a little, "What was your question?" I asked, faking ignorance.

He frowned, "The question I had just asked," he said.

I cocked an eyebrow, "I don't remember you asking a question."

His eyebrows pulled together, "I did ask a question," he insisted.

I tilted my head to the side, "I don't recall you ever asking one. Can you repeat it?" I fought a grin.

He suddenly seemed to realize what I was doing. "No, I'm not repeating it!" He said, "you know what my question was!"

I released my grin and let it show, "Well then, I'm not going to answer until you ask me it again." I said and stood up, feeling my joints pop as I walked towards the steering wheel.

Gabriel's hand knocked mine away from the handle. "No. You go sit down while I drive." He instructed stubbornly.

I sighed and did as he wanted.

The entire ride was silent, with only occasional glances at Gabriel. The air was silent, but my thoughts weren't. How could I not have known that Gabriel liked me? I say 'like' because he doesn't love me. He can't love me... it's not possible. This is just a crush for him, not love, because if he loved me, I would have at least noticed. Right? But Gabriel was always good at hiding his feelings and masking them with another. I was never able to tell which emotion was real or fake, but still... he can't love me. He's sixteen, and I'm going to be eighteen next month - an adult. He'll be too young to love me, even though it's only one year. But age is just a number... but then again, a jail cell is just a room. Besides, I don't like him back enough to love him back. Isn't love supposed to be a mutual thing? Not just one-way? So, he can't love me... because I don't love him back.

So, it's only a crush.

Why do I feel a bit depressed by that fact? It's probably just because I like him... and only like him.

"We're here," Gabriel snapped me out of my thoughts.

I stood up, wobbling a bit on unstable legs until I gained my balance. My toes felt really wrinkly.

We jumped out of the boat and he tied it the dock. I noticed my boat was tied there as well.

Wow. Some friends.

"At least they brought back my boat," I tried to lighten the mood.

His eyes were an icy blue now. Cold. "Yeah. Your boat." He spat angrily.