Chapter [[11]]

Chapter Eleven

                                                                                  Sunday, July 17

It was shocking, to put it simply.

I didn't know how this happened, or why my heart suddenly burst into a sprint as his lips met mine. This was different from when he was forcing air down my throat - this wasn't an attempt to save my life.

This was the real thing; this was my first kiss.

Did he know this was my first? Did he realize how important I think a first kiss is? Did he realize at all? Or maybe he does know, and he thinks this is the right time. But, after I almost drowned? Or maybe it was impulsive. Maybe he needed comfort in the fact that I didn't drown. After all, he does... love me.

It's weird to say that - that someone loves me. Was he just joking? Was he lying? Or maybe he meant in the brotherly way. Why would he be kissing me then? That wouldn't be logical - if he loves me in a brotherly way and just kisses me on the lips. Am I reading too much into this? What do I even feel about Gabriel anyway? I know I like him. I know I've felt something close to a crush whenever I'm near him, but do I like him enough to kiss him?

Thinking this way, it makes me feel... confused. Maybe I should just kiss him back... go with the flow. Then the kiss wouldn't mean anything, though. I want my first kiss to mean something. Be memorable, important. In the right place at the right time. I know, not many people get their first kiss in a perfect scenario, but that's how I feel about a first kiss - not many do.

Am I reading too much into this?

I was thinking too long, though, because Gabriel froze and pulled away, looking at my wide eyes with his own.

He covered his mouth, "I'm so sorry!" He cried.

I couldn't move, I was in a frozen state.

"I didn't mean to do that, it's just that I was so happy that you're okay and then I confessed that I love you and then I kissed you, and it didn't mean to happen this way!" He rambled, shoving himself away from me and curling into a ball. He hid his head under his arms and mumbled, "I'm sorry, i'm sorry, it didn't mean to happen this way."

I twitched a little in my frozen state and my fingers uncurled, revealing Valerie's purple dinosaur. I sighed. At least I didn't almost die for nothing.

"It's fine," I said through my raw throat.

He looked at me, "No, it's not! I took your first kiss! It wasn't meant to happen just after you almost drowned!" He said.

I heaved myself into a sitting position, feeling physically numb in my legs and arms. Everywhere, to be exact. I crawled over to him and draped my arm over his shoulder. He flinched.

"It shouldn't have happened this way," he muttered sadly.

I rested my head on his shoulder, "we can redo it," I whispered, not realizing what I was doing. I wasn't thinking. But I did like Gabriel, and that's all I needed.

His head raised to look at me, noses touching. "What?" He looked surprised.

I cleared my throat, feeling it pinch as I did so. "We can redo the kiss," I repeated, "if you want."

Gabriel's eyes suddenly lit up. "Do you... you know... do you, um... like... me?" He asked, stuttering over his words as if he never thought he'd ask someone that question.