Chapter [[9]]

Chapter Nine

                                                                                      Friday, July 15

A week has passed since Gabriel and I ate at the diner.

Gabriel had gone to a soccer camp that his mom begged him to go to, and was gone for about two weeks. I was lounging around in the living room. The tv was on, but there weren't any good shows on. I basically had nothing to do, and with Taylor at Valerie's house, there was no one I could talk to.

Jeez, I need more friends.

I would go over and hang out with Valerie and Taylor at her house, but I was still angry at Taylor for angering Gabriel. He had no right to say that, and no valid reason either. So, even if Gabriel was at camp, Taylor and I still haven't spoken to each other. He spends all of his days with Valerie now, anyway, and it's getting on my nerves. Aren't I the one he's supposed to be living with for the summer? He's been spending almost every night with her, and sometimes I wonder what they're doing in her house. It's not like I mind the fact that Valerie and him are dating, but the fact that they could be sleeping together, irritates me a bit. Besides, I'm the one who's supposed to help him get settled into Canada, not Valerie. What does he see in her anyway? I know that as her friend, I shouldn't be saying this, but I'm speaking the truth. What I think, is that she's not Taylor's type. Valerie is more of the bubbly and chatty type; the one who will call you at 3 in the morning and ask if she could borrow your shoes. I'm not trying to offend her, but if even she has admitted that that's how she is - and that's not Taylor's type. From what I know of him now, Taylor's type could be the more silent and flirty type; because that's exactly how he is. She could be a bit arrogant at times, but she can be nice; just like him. Taylor doesn't seem like the person to go for opposites - he seems more like the person to go for girls that have personalities similar to him.

Why am I thinking about all of this anyway? I think Gabriel's absence is getting me depressed.

Before he left, we've been growing closer; our friendship sealing tighter. He's like the best guy friend you could ever have, and whenever no one was home, he'd suddenly knock on the door and ask to hang out, as if he knew you were alone.

Of course, I think I should probably admit that I like him. Only a tiny bit, though...

I flicked through the channels before settling on The Simpsons. The episode was one I had already seen millions of times... it was boring and tiring...

"I'm sorry," a voice whispered from behind me.

Startled, I leapt off the couch and spun around to face... a very stressed Taylor.

"Are you okay?" I asked, walking over to him.

His chocolate brown eyes were darker than before, now close to black. As soon as I came close enough, I was pulled into a tight hug.

I can't breathe!

"I'm sorry for saying that to Gabriel, and I'm sorry for purposely making both of you angry at me. Please, forgive me," he mumbled into my hair.

"You're forgiven...?" I said, turning the sentence into a question at the end.

"I was jealous," he said, still not letting me go.

"What?" I was confused. Why would he be jealous? And what made him jealous? Of who?

"Gabriel. We were fine with just the two of us, and then he swooped in, made you laugh, made you almost blush, you hugged him without question. I was jealous of him. Why can't you do that with me?" He asked, his tone strangely vulnerable.