"Yeah, I was gonna say something but then thought maybe that's how it's supposed to be—"

"No—my mistake, sorry. Won't happen again."

"Hey, I was kidding. It's only a pancake, Audrey, no need to stress over it," he stressed his arms out with a cool look in his eyes and I had to divert my gaze away from his well-defined arm muscles.

"Right," I pronounced, finally coming back down from the clouds.

We finished frying the rest of the pancakes in the civilized way, like normal people: using a spatula to flip them. The air between us seemed to have cleared out of the unnecessary tension and I have to admit, I was glad the cocky and teasing Cameron was back.

"Fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the outside! Audrey's recipe," I presented the plate complacently. "So now you could add 'making pancakes' to your vast list of talents."

He let out a bitter chuckle. "Surely a skill that'll mean the difference between life and death one day."

"You never know," I quipped, climbing onto the counter to reach a high shelf in the pantry. The disadvantages of being short as a nail. "Are you a classic?" I took the small jug of maple syrup with one hand, then opened the fridge and got the chocolate syrup out. "Maple or chocolate?" I asked, holding out both bottles. "I'm also pretty sure there's some berry compote in the fridge, my mom makes it frequently. . ." 

"Whatever you choose, I honestly don't mind," he said, getting plates out and serving the pancakes, I was guessing. 

I pursed my lips to think, settling on both. "Coffee? Tea? Milk?" I suggested, considering my own lonesome mug of cold Earl Grey.

"No thanks, I'm good." All of his attention was trained on the two plates he was diligently preparing. He snatched the maple syrup from my hand muttering an 'excuse me' and started pouring it on the neatly stacked pancakes in an unduly artful manner. "Ah, the final touch. Wonderful, innit?"

"Actually yes—looks striking. You really have to be good at everything, don't you?"

"In reality, I've to confess, this is ridiculously coincidental. I copied this scene from a commercial I'd seen ages ago." He took both plates in his two hands. "So, to 'Cozy Corner'?"

"Uh actually, I've a better idea," I signalled for him to follow me, leading the way upstairs. If there were a contest for the Day of the Most Reckless Decisions, today would certainly win it, but at this point, I can't say I cared. 

"Are we going to your room?" He asked warily, appearing very bemused. I mean he had to be—just an hour ago I wasn't even letting him past my porch.

"We're going through my room," I replied, probably perplexing him even more. 

"Eh?"

Light flooded my room at the flick of the switch. I headed straight towards the window, drawing the smoky blue curtains open. The sun was about to set at any given moment, the cloudless sky nearing its first stage of twilight. 

"Classy," Cameron remarked, staring in wonder at the framed photo collage hanging against the ivory wall. "Where is this?"

It was that one photoshoot when Syd and I stumbled upon a little fox. The name swiper surged into my brain at the same time as a minuscule smile crept onto my lips. It seemed like just yesterday. "Oh, that's a funny story. You know that little park by the lake? Me and my friend found a fox cub there this summer."

"No way. That's close to my place. You're telling me there're foxes next to where I live?"

"Yeah, pretty cool, huh? Anyway," I slid my window open, "you balancing those plates alright?"