Poker faced

Dalton's pov

Tossing and turning in bed made me tired as I was sure by now that I couldn't fall asleep even if I wanted to. I could hear the birds chirping indicating that it was already early in the morning. I got out of bed unwillingly, blinking uncontrollably at how sleepy and tired my eyes felt. The clock read 5:30 am and the burning sensation in my eyes got worse as I rubbed them with my hands going to the bathroom. After brushing my teeth and washing my face with the chilly water I felt much better. I let out a deep breath as it fogged the mirror in front of me. I used my fists to clear the misty mirror and looked at my reflection. I looked tired and exhausted. My eyes were puffy and my face looked swollen.

I don't remember feeling the way I'm feeling right now , any day. It's like I've become a whole different person. I hated myself for being so sappy and low all the time but couldn't escape the pain in my chest. Everything seemed perfect for a while... But now? It just feels like a dream.

But it's not like I am the only one who's changed. Ariana.. Who used to be the sweet,shy and super fun and happy girl has turned into a walking zombie in just a few days. She's no more the same person I spent time with and started having feelings for. The reason why I didn't kiss her or tell her about my feelings was that I was scared if she didn't feel the same it would ruin our friendship and also break my heart and guess what now.. That's exactly what happened.

My head started to hurt as though I was having a hangover but I decided to go downstairs and make breakfast before they wake up anyways. Seems like they'll wake up late judging by what they were up to last night.

The thought of what I had heard last night haunted me like a ghost all night and once again I've reminded myself of it.

I got into the same outfit I have been wearing since the night I came here and walked downstairs with my phone.

The house seemed quieter than usual and the grey morning sky added to the eerie look.

Once reaching the kitchen, I began to sort out breakfast for myself when I heard something in a little distance. I squinted my dazed eyes through the hallway to find out the source of the noise but was met with nothing. Ignoring the noise I searched the fridge to find a jug full of orange juice. I decided to have a glass and wait for Ariana and Mikey to wake up so that we could have breakfast together.

Halfway through my drink and random thoughts I heard a creaking noise and then a soft bang. My inquisitive mind couldn't help but get out of the kitchen to find out who was making that noise.

I approached the store room that was near the living room as I could see a shadow lurking from under the door. I slowly neared the room and got hold of the knob, twisting it with utmost caution as the door finally creaked open.

As soon as the person turned around my eyes widened in shock. She had the same expression in her face. As she was about to scream I kicked the door shut, put my hand over her mouth and pushed her against the wall.

Her eyes that were the only feature of her face that was revealed were red and scared as tears started to build in them.

" Shh ", I whispered as I slowly lowered my hands from her mouth.

She was still breathing a little heavily and the horrified look on her face wasn't gone either.

" Ariana.. What are you doing here?", I asked softly both cuz she was anxious and also because Mikey might hear us.

" I... I.. Noth.. Nothing.. Just.. ", she stuttered avoiding eye contact as she pushed my chest away from her trying to escape but I held her arm just in time.