Part 24: Ashton

Playlist: Riptide by Van Joy, Ready for Love by Felix ft. Chloe, Little Do You Know by Alex and Sierra, You don’t really know me- Jesse J, Night Changed by One Direction, All to Myself by Marianas Trench, I like it by We The Kings, You are In love by Taylor Swift, How you get the girl by Taylor Swift, No Words by The Script.

(FLASHBACK)

“Let’s play truth…” She suddenly murmured, her head still resting against his stomach as they laid on the hood of his car staring at the stars.

“Truth?” He asked. “How do you play that?”

“It’s not hard. There is only one rule; you have to tell the truth and the truth only. Even if you don’t want to.” She said, his torso lifting off from the car with his elbows.

“So you can’t refuse to answer a question?” He asked.

“You could… If you don’t answer a question, you get to ask me a question; an extra hard one because you don’t want me to win the game.” She explained.

“Sounds easy enough.” He said making her chuckle.

“So you want to play?”

“I think I can handle it.” He added.

“So who starts?” She asked.

“You can…” She was quiet after that, her bottom lip jutting out a few inches as she thought of a question to ask. A way to start the game.

“When did you start playing music?” She asked, the question bringing a smile to his lips.

“For as long as I can remember to be honest. I got my first drum kit when I was only 8 years old. I’ve been playing ever since.” He said.

“Do you play any other instruments?” She added.

“I thought it was my turn?” He teased.

“It’s a follow up question…”

“I do… I can also play guitar, piano and the saxophone; a little bass, still learning to play that one.” He said, enjoying the satisfied look on her face.

“Now it’s your turn…” She said with a grin.

“Okay…” He murmured, staring out into the city lights thinking. “When did you start writing?” He asked, he watched as the corner of her lip turned upright into a smile. She closed her eyes for a second before she answered.

“I started writing in seventh grade; like to really write my own things. It started with poems and then slowly progressed to stories and anything really.” She said.

“Would you let me read any of it?” He asked, her eyes opened then and she was ready to protest. “It’s a follow up a question.” He quickly added with a smirk, it made her laugh. He really liked the way her laugh sounded, especially if he was the one that made her laugh.

They’d learned a lot about each other that night. He’d learned that her first kiss had been at her 15th birthday party while he had gotten his when he was 16. He learned that she liked classical music and she learned that he listened to much more than rock music. They’d learned their favorite foods, their fears, their deepest desires… And as the game continued they learned more and more about each other.

But Ashton didn’t only get answers for his questions; he opened up to her in a way he had never done to anyone else. And it was easy… He had never shared his deepest thoughts with any girl he had dated since the band had taken off. He wasn’t sure if it was the game or if it was her but neither of them refused to answer a question and the questions simply kept coming.

“What would you do if you could do anything?” He asked as they pulled into the hotel’s parking lot. She was quiet as they looked for a parking space. They hadn’t stopped asking questions the whole way back.

“Does this mean you pass?” He asked when she continued to be quiet.

“No… I’m just thinking.” She said, her eyes looking at him. Even in the dim lighting, he could see the glow her chocolate brown eyes had when she smiled.

“So what is your answer.” He pushed as he turned off the car and unbuckled himself in order to turn and look at her.

“If I could do anything… I wouldn’t rush into getting an education right now. I would travel the world first; learn more about myself and the world before I began to prepare for a lifelong career.” She said.

“Wow, that’s deep.” He said, watching her still in the dim lighting. “Much more than what I would answer.”

“So answer, what would you do if you could do anything?” She asked, a smirk on her lips as she unbuckled as well and turned towards me.

“You don’t want to know the answer… Not as interesting as yours.” He said.

“Are you passing?” She teased, her eyebrow rising as she continued to look at me.

“No, definitely not. I’m just warning you that my answer isn’t as interesting as yours.”

“How would we know if you refuse to answer?” She shot back. The silence between them extended after she had asked the question, Ashton’s eyes intently looking at her. Neither of them dared to move dared to utter a word. She was curious and wanted to know what he was thinking, he… He was evaluating his odds. Making a decision if he should answer the question the way he wanted to or if he should just lie.

Mia’s lips were slightly parted as Ashton began to close the space between them. Her eyes had grown in size the closer he got. His hand softly cradled the side of her cheek, his thumb brushing over her cheek bone before his lips softly brushed against hers.

He was tentative at first, waiting for her to react to his actions. He was still unsure if she would kiss him back or slap him but she didn’t let him wait long for the answer. Her hands softly rested against his chest before she pressed her lips against his this time. The soft feel of her lips against his made him smile as he pulled away a few inches, his forehead pressing gently against hers.

“I told you it wasn’t that interesting…” He murmured softly before kissing her again.

(END of FLASHBACK)

(Author’s Note: So it would be wrong if I didn’t say that this chapter is entirely inspired by one of my favorite books by Sarah Dessen: The Truth About Forever. I’ve always loved the idea of a couple getting to know each other through the game of truth and when I thought of Mia’s and Ashton’s first kiss moment I couldn’t think of a more perfect scenario. So go read that book if you haven’t! Because it definitely was my inspiration for this.

So this is the last update of 2014! I can’t believe it! I hope you guys enjoyed it and had a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Remember to vote and comment and all those lovely things and I’ll see you in the next update! Love you all! <3)