Part 36: Ashton

(Flashback)

Play the scene over again, before the credits rolling in inside my head I don't recall a single word; they hit me faster than I heard inside my head...

"How about another take?" Luke said as he leaned back in the chair. They were all watching as Calum stood inside of the booth recording the song they had worked on the week before. Ashton had been really inspired ever since they'd left LA. He had been complimented a lot about it during writing sessions, the boys knew better than to mention anything about it. It felt as if they tip toed around him. Always worried he was going to snap or break. Poor fragile little Ashton, he'd been broken... At least everyone was getting good music by it.

No matter how hard se tried, she always found a way to creep back into his thoughts. And just last week in the writing session, she had been present in each one of those thoughts, never leaving her mind. The flashbacks were all too real for him not to put his feelings into words. It was always that way.

"I thought I did good that time." Calum protested, his accent thick as he fixed his head set and glared at the guys through the glass.

"Good is not good enough!" Michael exclaimed in a joking manner, making Calum laugh inside the recording booth. Ashton shifted beside Luke and Michael. He always dreaded this point, unsure if he would have to go back to the loneliness of his hotel room or they were all willing to pull an all-nighter and achieve that perfect sound they were craving for their album.

"Fine! I'd try that again," he muttered before readjusting his head seat. "Just know that you owe me, Clifford."

(End of flashback)

Walking beside her, their arms brushing against each other as they moved, he couldn't help think about how he kept screwing things up with her. He could never do it right, and the memories and every word just replayed in his head. Every single one of them.

"So are we just going to keep walking aimlessly or are we going to stop at some point and talk?" She asked him.

"Favorite hot dog stand in New York?" He asked her at the same time. Her eyes looked confused for a moment before he caught a glimpse of amusement in them. Her eyes watched him for a few seconds before she looked back ahead. He'd noticed that she wouldn't linger looking at him, she would always look away especially if he caught her watching him. It almost seemed like she was studying him.

"Truth..." She uttered softly, looking down at the red coffee cup in between her hands.

"It got us to talking once before, I thought it would help us catch up now." Ashton said with a simple shrug.

"I am not playing this silly game with you." She huffed, her breath coming out in visible puffs in front of her as she became annoyed with him.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because we really need to talk, Ashton!" She exclaimed, some coffee spilled from her cup and fell to the melting snow underneath their feet. They were all of a sudden standing in the middle of the park. When her voice raised people stopped and turned to them around them before they continued their way.

"And we can't do so while telling truth? Wouldn't the game ensure you that I tell the truth." He said, a hint of annoyance in his tone. His hands were stuffed inside of his coat pockets. She was definitely infuriating today.

"Because you are so good at doing that?" She shot back at him and began to walk away from him. His hand instinctively reached out and grabbed her elbow, making her turn to him. Her eyes were narrowed at him, cheeks flushed. He could only imagine how he looked to her: wide eyes and parted lips.