Part 5: Mia

Playlist:  Over and Over by 5 Seconds Of Summer - AWOL by Broadway - The Scientist by Coldplay - Blurry by Puddle of Mudd - Here with me by The Killers 

“You say things that I don't

You make me feel alone

Every night replayed over and over…”

I slid down the shower wall as the words echoed through the bathroom, my hands rising to cover over my ears. Just breathe, Mia. My mind told me as I tried to calm down again. Why did it hurt so much if I knew it would happen? It had all just felt so real, that now I just didn’t know how to tell apart the lies from the truths he had told me.

A loud knock came from the door, echoing over the music and the sound of the water hitting the shower floor.

“Are you drowning yourself in there? Hurry up, we’re hungry!” Heather whined loudly, making me remember that I wasn’t really alone. He wasn’t my life, he had been just some boy who I had met on my trip in Los Angeles. A boy who had weaseled his way into my life, into my mind… into your heart, my mind added.

“Just give me five minutes!” I called out as I pushed myself into a standing position. My body ached all over from the exhaustion, lack of sleep and the night’s events but I couldn’t let the physical (or the emotional) pain keep me from enjoying the rest of my time in California.

“Hey M, is Ashton going to join us today?” Heather asked after I had turned off the water and was wrapping a towel around my body. The sound of his name out loud making my heart ache, the pain made it the more real. It really was over but most importantly, it had all really happened.

“He’s hung with our group so often now, I was just wondering.” She added when my answer didn’t come.

“No, his band is quite busy for the next few days. Recording their album and stuff… We probably won’t see him again.” I said softly, trying to make my voice sound as calm and neutral as I could but the words trailed off and quivered at the end.

“Oh…” She said softly, I could almost see her leaning closer to the wall as we spoke. That was Heather, always trying to keep people’s business as private as she could even when she wanted to help. “How do you feel about that?” She asked.

“Fine,” I started, staring at my face in the mirror and watching as my eyes filled with tears and blurred my vision. “We had a nice time these past few weeks and that’s all that matters.” The lie coming so naturally as the tear rolled down my cheek.

I angrily wiped it with the back of my hand before I slipped into my clothes quickly, not really caring for putting on any makeup or fix my wet hair. Heather was no longer standing in front of the door as I walked out, she had moved on to a debate or where we would be eating. I padded over to my group of friends who were all sitting on the full sized beds in our room.

“I don’t know about you guys but if we hurry, we might make it to IHOP before it is lunch time. We all know we’ll end up there anyway.” I told them, forcing myself to smile but it felt so awkward I quickly stopped. It had been so easy to smile when he was around though…

(FLASHBACK)

“The reservation is under the name of Mia. Mia Carter.” I told the desk clerk for the third time since we had gotten here. It was making me nervous that it was taking us to long to do our check in, I needed all of this to go smoothly so I could prove to my parents that I could do this.

Our friend Sydney had told us to meet her at the hotel instead of at her house since she was still not out of work yet.

“Here you are, Mia Carter.” The woman behind the counter finally said, wearing a proud grin that she had finally figured out her task.

“Finally!” Heather said with a sigh from where she stood beside me, voicing my every thought right now. I could only hope that the rest of the check in went smoothly. I actually wanted to freshen up and maybe take a nap before we went out to explore Los Angeles. There was so much to see and so little time, really.

“Are you stalking me?” A male voice said from behind me, an accent that was impossible to mistake. I had to force myself not to turn around too quickly from the surprise. I hadn’t thought I would see him again but there he was, wearing a dimpled grin and followed by three other boys behind him.

“I think it’s the other way around, I was here first so you must be the one doing the stalking.” I told him, smiling like an idiot as I crossed my arms over my chest.

“Touché.” He said with a chuckle, running his hand over his hair before he pulled off his sunglasses and hung them on the front of his shirt.

“Who is she?” One of the boys behind him asked, throwing his arm around Ashton and taking a closer look of me.

“Is she the girl from the station?” He added the question in a mocking tone, but his words weren’t directed to me at all. He was talking to Ashton- Wait, had he told his friends about me? He couldn’t have, they were probably talking about somebody else.

Beside me Heather had also sort of stopped paying attention to our check in and had turned her full attention to the scene happening between me and these strangers.

“Are they giving you any trouble, M?” She asked, her tone suspicious since she was probably thinking I was keeping some things from her. Her eyes were fixed on the boys in front of her, making Ashton raise his hands in defense.

“Woah there, we’re not giving anyone any trouble.” He said, still wearing his dimpled smile as his eyes strayed back to me. “I was just saying hello to my friend Mia here, nothing else.” He added.

Friend? We had met just hours ago and we had almost had an argument about tea.

“Miss, your room keys.” The clerk behind me said, making us all turn around and stare at her for a moment before I remembered I had been checking in.

“Oh right, thank you.” I said quickly, taking the small white envelope from her hands and grabbing my bag from the ground.

“Enjoy your stay.” The woman said as we began to walk away, my body completely aware of the greenish eyes that followed my every move.

“I’ll see you around, Ashton.” I said, walking backwards towards the elevator so our eyes could meet. I was sure I would see him again since it seemed like one of his friends had begun doing their check in.

“I sure hope so.” He said with a wink, making my cheeks flame up and my feet stumble as I turned around and walked into the elevator quickly.

“Ashton, huh?” Heather said with a teasing grin once the doors had begun to close. “He’s really cute.”

“Yeah, he is.” I said softly, the sound of his laugh when I had tripped up on my feet making my heart race quickly inside my chest.

(Author's Note: I just read that Ashton got a wrist tattoo and I am in feels and freak out mode! Haha Anyways, chapter 5 is up! I really have no clue where this story is going but the more I write the more I like it, and chapters are getting longer so WOOHOO!

A few things are different with this chapter, I added a few cast members and I also included a few of the songs I listened to while I was writing.

I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far. Please remember to vote and comment, it lets me know if you guys liked it and all that fun stuff! I really hope you guys are liking it, I am still so nervous about all of this! <3)