Chapter 3

About one hour later, in the thirsty, boiling desert, a petite building along the highway appeared in my line of vision.

   As my car crept closer, I eventually made out the scorched sign that read Earl's Fresh Eats.

   I was delighted that I finally arrived, but slightly timorous because this was not what I envisioned in my mind.

   Perplexed, I parked my car in the ruins of the ancient parking lot, when I took out the "Now Hiring" ad and glanced at the GPS on my phone.

  "What? This place looks nothing like this." I said to myself confused and agitated.

   After a few more minutes of speculating about my situation, I finally got out of my car and cautiously walked to the seemingly abandoned diner, examining my surroundings, which was nothing more than tumbleweeds, yellowish gravel, and a few lonely cacti.

   When I finally approached the entrance that read, "All Are Always Welcome," and the "Now Hiring" ad taped to the rickety window, a rush of warmth circulated through my veins.

   "This is the right place after all. Just needs a little love, that's all." I reassured myself.

    With copious amounts of self-confidence, I entered the restaurant to the smell of freshly brewed coffee intertwined with what seemed like bleach.

    I crinkled my nose in slight disrelish, but other than the foul smell, the diner was rather cute.

   While sauntering around the cramped space, I soaked in the restaurant's unique qualities, such as the wrap around bar with red, leather cushions, the checkered flooring, and a retro jukebox playing "Jailhouse Rock" by Elvis Presley in the stygian corner.

   It was like I traveled in a time machine back to the 1950's.

   Although there wasn't a single soul in the parking lot, there were however a few heavy set men, possibly truck drivers, scarfing down a meat lover's omelette while watching Fox News.

  "Mmm...that looks delicious," I commented in my head as I turned around to the voice of an elderly woman who said, "Hello, dear. A table for one? Today's specials are..."

  "Ummm...actually, I don't mean to interrupt, but I saw your ad in a magazine that you were hiring, and was wondering if I could apply for a job." I responded hesitantly, displaying the ad from my purse.

   With a smile almost like the Devil, the petite woman eagerly chanted, "Oh, of course dear! Like this flyer says, we're always looking for "fresh" new faces. My husband will be extremely excited. Follow me this way."

  "Okay. Thank you so much!" A smile creeping upon my face.

   The fragile lady escorted me down a poorly lit hallway, where my negative thoughts slowly began to slip away as I entered a secluded room in the back of the diner.

   The room we entered appeared to be an office where financial work or other business matters were taken care of.

   As I observed the compact room, an aging man sitting at an antique desk caught my attention. He seemed to be highly concentrated on his work, because he didn't even acknowledge the woman and I's presence.

   The sweet lady kindly interrupted the gentleman, "Earl, honey. This is....what was your name dear? I forgot to ask. How rude of me."

   I smiled politely, "No offense taken. My name is Valerie Conrad."

  "Valerie. What a lovely name." the fragile woman complimented me.

  "Ahh...yes indeed." The man agreed.

  "Thank you," I replied as my cheeks turned red.

   She smiled and pivoted back to Earl and stated, "Anywho, Valerie saw our "Now Hiring" ad in a magazine, and wants to apply for a job. I told her that her assistance would be greatly appreciated. What do you say?"

    I glanced over at Earl, who was examining me almost too closely, when he said, "Well, Valerie today is your lucky day. You're hired! Don't worry about an interview. It's not everyday we get young people such as yourself who come here looking for a job. In fact, business has been a little slow lately, if you haven't already noticed. We've been unfortunately lacking in supply, but now that you're here, I believe everything will be just fine!"

   I frolicked around ecstatically, because my dreams were finally coming true.

"Thank you so much Earl and..."

   Now look who's the fool. I never asked for the poor woman's name.

  "Susan. I almost forgot to introduce myself as well." She giggled embarrassed.

  "No problem. Thank you again so much Earl and Susan for accepting me. I won't let you down!"

  "Don't worry, I know you won't sweetie. Oh, and I almost forgot." He paused swiftly, "if you have any other friends who are in desperate need of a job, just tell them to stop on by. We'd be thrilled to have them!"

"Okay. I'll be sure to spread the word!" I chanted with enthusiasm.

  As I gathered my belongings and was about to exit the office, Susan abruptly stopped me in the narrow doorway.

"Valerie. Be here tomorrow at 6 A.M., that's when your shift starts."

"Thank you again so much and I won't be a second late. See you tomorrow!" I waved goodbye as I left the office and then the petite diner itself.

   I finally approached my car after a seemingly long walk and settled down into my seat, smiling with satisfaction, because everything that I have ever worked and dreamt for, was finally happening.

"This is the best day of my life!" I exclaimed as I pulled back onto the highway, eager to tell everyone the exhilarating news!